650 and 660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestryworks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
lookin' at buying either the 650 or 660 sometime soon

what's the biggest b&c you guys can run on either one?

Last edited:
alot of stumps mostly
along with some big oaks and sycamores

i use my 210 for trimming and firewood cutting

The 650 will pull a 36 OK with skip,,,,,

The 660 will pull it with,,, Authority

for stumpin the extra grunt will make the 660 a wise choice,,

My baby bro has a tree removal stump grinding service and has a 460 and a 650,,,,and when ever he gets a bad one he is always conning me out of my old 066 mag,,, he had an old virgin growth oak stump this weeknd that was almost 90" the cut off stump was so big he couldn't pick it up with his skidsteer had to choke it and drag it out of the peoples front yard to the grapple!!!! I took pics but I trashed them in the camera somehow :monkey: :monkey: :monkey:

Yep the techno Dunce is at it again!!!!

I have a 42" bar for my 660, and it'll pull it no problem buried in softwood. My saw isn't stock, either. But, I also ran that bar on my old 066 and on my 660 before I had it ported with good enough results. I sure wouldn't want to dog it into a hardwood stump though.

I run a 660. I generally use a 28, but have a 36 when needed. It pulls either just fine.

The 650 will pull a 36 OK with skip,,,,,

The 660 will pull it with,,, Authority

for stumpin the extra grunt will make the 660 a wise choice,,

My baby bro has a tree removal stump grinding service and has a 460 and a 650,,,,and when ever he gets a bad one he is always conning me out of my old 066 mag,,, he had an old virgin growth oak stump this weeknd that was almost 90" the cut off stump was so big he couldn't pick it up with his skidsteer had to choke it and drag it out of the peoples front yard to the grapple!!!! I took pics but I trashed them in the camera somehow :monkey: :monkey: :monkey:

Yep the techno Dunce is at it again!!!!

You making fun of my 650 Willis :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl:

I normally run a 32" square chisel chain on 066 mag. I also have a 41" same type chain the soft woods I cut no problem for either. Used the 41" on quite a bit of big leaf maple and does just fine. +1 on get the 660 same weight more power.

I would not buy the 650 for previously stated reasons

I run a 28" on my 660 as I find that bar length means I don't have to bend over to cut to the ground; Im 6 foot. I also like 28" bar as it is easier then shorter bars to bend the bar and snap the chain back on when the chain skips off; which seems to happen more with shihl then husky. I have a 36 inch when i need it. I have used 42 inch skip on 066 before and found I had to be carefull not to bog it.
Scott

I own a 650 and use it primarily for milling but do some falling and bucking. I run 36",32",28" and 16" bars on it.
I have used full skip semi skip and full comp. It works fine if youv'e never run a 660. I bought it before I really new the difference. Mostly because the price was less then the 660, but knowing what I know now I would buy the 660. In fact I am going to trade it in for a 660.

I would not buy the 650 for previously stated reasons

I run a 28" on my 660 as I find that bar length means I don't have to bend over to cut to the ground; Im 6 foot. I also like 28" bar as it is easier then shorter bars to bend the bar and snap the chain back on when the chain skips off; which seems to happen more with shihl then husky. I have a 36 inch when i need it. I have used 42 inch skip on 066 before and found I had to be carefull not to bog it.
Scott

In the 1000s of hours i have ran saws don't think I have thrown chains maybe 6 or 7 times usually either hit something or just plain operator error. Don't really buy there is a trend.

skipped chains

In the 1000s of hours i have ran saws don't think I have thrown chains maybe 6 or 7 times usually either hit something or just plain operator error. Don't really buy there is a trend.

I have found [in my experience] that stihls skip more then husky. I figured this to be due to the smaller chain guide diameter. I also should point out that this is an experience i have had well falling not bucking. I ran 288's with 28 and 066's with 28 as my bread and butter for years. Having said that i like a bit of droop in my chain; just at the point where the chain starts to hang out mid 28 inch bar. I figure i have less chain resistance and more power.

An example of my experiences is I found just the act of larger humbolt pie chunks from 3' dbh trees dropping out could knock my chain off a stihl but I never had that happen with a husky bar & chain. Not really a big deal as it only takes a few seconds to snap the chain back on with a quick bar bend.

If you have never skipped your chain much then your likely lucky to have not spent much time cutting slash alder and other underbrush. [most folks i know generally refer to this as F*k brush becouse thats all one is likely to say well working in it] Does not matter how tight your chain is for that wippy crap

Latest posts

Back