MS660...which muffler?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tzed250

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A little help is needed,

I would like to know which muffler housing for the 066/MS660 has the large outlet. Not the cover, but the actual case that bolts to the cylinder.

Thanks in advance,

John

A little help is needed,

I would like to know which muffler housing for the 066/MS660 has the large outlet. Not the cover, but the actual case that bolts to the cylinder.

Thanks in advance,

John

It will be a pre EPA Crunch 066,,,, Andy will probably know the specific year and the real reason like OSHA interference,,,, therabouts but,,, I dont think they are stihl manufactured for the US Buyer Market... so unless you find a NOS you will have to find one on an older Saw... I have a couple but they are pretty Rough,,,,

Last edited:
So the old housing is NLA? Rats, sounds like it's time to cut metal. I would still like a part# if anyone comes up with it...:)

I would love to see an entire history of the 066/MS660 mufflers including what mods can be made to what muffler component. Simple huh?

Man, upon reading my post I definately qualify as a chainsaw geek.

It will be a pre EPA Crunch 066,,,, Andy will probably know the specific year therabouts but,,, I dint think they are stihl manufactured for the US Buyer Market... so unless you find a NOS you will have to find one on an older Saw... I have a couple but they are pretty Rough,,,,

I maybe wrong, but Lake may need to flog ya.......I think OSHA not
EPA,..........to loud. :) :cheers:

Don't matter it has a smaller hole now. :censored:

Last edited:
I think Andy said that the early ones were 5/8, and the modern ones are 3/8". I will be getting the dual port front cover, but I wanted to know if I could get the big port case to go along with it.

I maybe wrong, but Lake may need to flog ya.......I think OSHA not
EPA,..........to loud. :) :cheers:

Don't matter it has a smaller hole now. :censored:

Yeah trigger I think yer probably right,,,, I'm certain there's a flogging en-route,,,, LOL!!!!!:dizzy:

but the EPA squeezing them on emissions compliance also has had a say in the current design and subsequent minuscule exhaust diffuser!!!!
:cry: :cry:

I think Andy said that the early ones were 5/8, and the modern ones are 3/8". I will be getting the dual port front cover, but I wanted to know if I could get the big port case to go along with it.

Yep I just measured mine and its defintily larger than .5"

I measured all these holes a year or two back... posted them in some old thread...

Let's not forget they do put out the rated HP with the pea sized hole ;)

Last edited:
So...leave the box in front of the port alone...or open it up a bit?

If you are not modding the saw and are just installing the dual port front cover,,,, Im thinking it really isnt necessary,,,, but if you decide to,,, you can certainly tune to it,,,,,,:cheers:

Last edited:
Well, I'd still like to see a part #, but thanks for the input guys. I think I will go at this in stages. DP cover, then larger round port, then the baffle box if I need to.

I have the older DP muffler. It has the 5/8's hole. It's a bit rusty and this is the only thing stamped on it.
Stihl
1128/08
RKP
Hope that helps

I have the older DP muffler. It has the 5/8's hole. It's a bit rusty and this is the only thing stamped on it.
Stihl
1128/08
RKP
Hope that helps

I have one from one of my old half wrap 066's and its @ is 1122/09-1 and it has a 5/8 hole!!!!!!! it was a bit rusty as well!!!!! I had to bead blast it in order to read the numbers!!!!! LOL!!!!!!

Back