oil question of the hour

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spacemule

The Peanut Gallery
Reaction score
I'm sure you've all seen the instruction manuals that tell you to use one ratio if using their oil, and another ratio if using anything else. Is this a legitimate distinction to make, or are they merely trying to coddle you into buying their oil?

My Dolmar 7900 manual states:

Dolmar Oil 50:1
Other Oil 40:1

I think it is just the manufacturer protecting themselves. They know the quality of their own oil but who knows if a consumer would try to use some 30 year old Homelite oil that isn't of the same quality.

I run Stihl Ultra 40:1 in all my saws.

My Dolmar 7900 manual states:

Dolmar Oil 50:1
Other Oil 40:1

I think it is just the manufacturer protecting themselves. They know the quality of their own oil but who knows if a consumer would try to use some 30 year old Homelite oil that isn't of the same quality.

I run Stihl Ultra 40:1 in all my saws.
But, is that condition not already covered by saying to only use oil that meets sufficient standards? 30 year old Homelite oil would not meet any of the current standards, even at 40:1.

Dolmar must have thought there was a reason for putting it in their current manuals. I think it is kind of funny myself. I'm not sure if Stihl, Husky, etc.. still do.

For you, Spacemule, I think you can continue to use the KY Jelly on your saws. On a particularly cold day you may even want to try one with the warming sensation.

Dolmar must have thought there was a reason for putting it in their current manuals.
Absolutely. The suggestions imply that their oil is superior without saying such outright, thus avoiding suits, but still promoting their product. Isn't that all that's going on?
For you, Spacemule, I think you can continue to use the KY Jelly on your saws. On a particularly cold day you may even want to try one with the warming sensation.
You think so? :)

Sorry, 40YearHomey.

I wasn't trying to make a dig on the old Homelite brand. Just the first brand that I thought of when I tried to think of old cans of 2-cycle oil. I grew up on old Homeys' and I suspect my father still has a can or two floating around his garage. Besides, I have a 450 and XL-925 that might jump me if I tried to get in a rub.

My point was that oils have changed as much as chainsaws and no manufacturer would like to guarantee against a stupid consumer.

:bowdown: All you guys must understand, there are a hand full of very knowledgeable, borderline if not experts on this web forum. A few rookies, including myself, may post redundant questions now and again, and that may get old. To be in such knowledgeable company as you guys has been a blessing as I have learned quite a bit in the short time, mostly by lurking though. To be blessed by knowledge, (whether it comes by experience, learned or otherwise, or by any other means), comes with the caveat that the same questions are asked over and over and over and over again. It can be much like dealing with my 4 kids and the crews at work. And whoever suggested there be a FAQ at the top of the Chainsaw Forum page is right on. I got to admit though, GASoline71's signature is hilarious. :rock:

Back