Husqvarna 362XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
For some reason they are a tad lighter then the 372s (at least the older ones with the small bar mount), but not enough to be tempting - still a pound+ heavier than the MS361, and much bulkier.

I believe the weight difference is in the crankcase, even though the replacements listed in the IPLs are the same. I can't prove it, but it is not a pure guess either.....

Former Saw Builder

Former Saw Builder

ArboristSite Guru
Is anyone running one of these saws? Other than being about a half pound too heavy it looks like a good saw on paper. I never hear anything about them and was wondering why

I bought one last year from Amick's and it is a great saw but if I had it to do all over I probably would just buy another 372...

taplinhill

taplinhill

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I think the 365 killed it before it ever got off the ground. the 365 had more cc and less $$. When I bought my 2165, the 2163 was $100 more. I always wondered if the 2163 was really that much better. So, I bought a used 2063. Less torque, more revs was my conclusion. I liked the 2165 better. Then I bought a 2071 and a 2171 and the others don't get used much anymore. Revs like the 63, plus more power/torque than either. And that small mount really bugged me. Lets have the saws share every part except the most common one.

HUSKYMAN

HUSKYMAN

Addicted to ArboristSite
I didnt realize it was on the same platform as the 372.

If Husqvarna gets their heads out of their asses and looks at the success of the 361 and builds a similar saw then I will buy one. If they made a saw 12.5# and about 62cc with close to 5hp I would jump on it and stick a 28" bar on my 970 and hardly ever use it.

The 357 is nice but there is a big gap in their lineup between the 357 and 372. A big bore 357 would be nice

taplinhill

taplinhill

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
The 357 is nice but there is a big gap in their lineup between the 357 and 372. A big bore 357 would be nice

I went on that rant a couple of months ago. They had that saw with the 262XP. Why they put the 362 on the larger case I'll never know. I'm in the process of rebuilding my 261 into a 262XP. Probably about the time I get it finished they will come out with one.

kurtty

kurtty

ArboristSite Operative
The current version? Isn't it just a small jug/slug on a 372 chassis and crank? Yeah, I think I'd skip the -62 and go the distance to the -72...

i always thought that the 365 had the smallest jug they could put on that crank. and that the 362 had an whole different setup. any one want to clairify this here.

HUSKYMAN

HUSKYMAN

Addicted to ArboristSite
I went on that rant a couple of months ago. They had that saw with the 262XP. Why they put the 362 on the larger case I'll never know. I'm in the process of rebuilding my 261 into a 262XP. Probably about the time I get it finished they will come out with one.

Have you ran the 262XP? Does it really put out 4.8hp like Acres site claims? If so I am going to seek out one of these saws

taplinhill

taplinhill

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Have you ran the 262XP? Does it really put out 4.8hp like Acres site claims? If so I am going to seek out one of these saws

I have not run one, but I have heard a lot of good things about them. That is why I am doing the build. Good 262XP's on ebay bring good money. One sold this morning for over $300. A good 261 is lucky to get $200, so there must be something to the 262XP.

taplinhill

taplinhill

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
i always thought that the 365 had the smallest jug they could put on that crank. and that the 362 had an whole different setup. any one want to clairify this here.

I am not certain on the internals and I don't have my IPL's here, but the clutch cover, front handle, tank/rear handle, top cover and recoil cover, muffler are all the same.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector

The test report from DLG showed a dyno result of 4.9hp in 1998, and a weight as advertised.

Husky made a mistake when they replaced the 262xp with a saw based on the larger 371 platform, and with less power, at a tad less rpm........:givebeer:

The 262xp has good low-end torque as well as good high-end power.

I believe that the closest saw availiable today is the MS361 - but a tad "smaller" on all accounts.......

Last edited:
spike60

spike60

Addicted to ArboristSite

This is a good project. There are just a few significant differences. The cylinders are the same, but the pistons are different. The 261 used a dished piston vs the flat top in the 262. Huge difference in the mufflers. The one on the 261 is very restrictive. They tried to correct it somewhat after the first year by adding a second exhaust port on the front plate. You will definitely need to mod the muffler or get a 262 spec one. The other difference is that the 262 had a 3 shoe clutch that had much more contact area with the drum vs the smaller 2 shoe clutch found on the 261. You will also need a washer with the 3 shoe clutch so it doesn't rub against the drum. (The 261 clutch has an offset-no washer needed.) The carb is essentially the same on either saw except for the addition of limiter caps on the 261. And if you order the 262 carb part number, it will supercede up to the new one with the caps anyway. If you need some help with part numbers, let me know.

And I'm told that there is a saw in the works to fill that gap between the 357 and the 372. It will of course be an X-torque motor. It's a while out yet, so you've plenty of time to finish your project.:cheers:

Tian

ArboristSite Lurker
Hi all,

It's my first post, so go easy please :)

I am planning to set up an Alaskan mill set up to mill some live edge type table tops from some logs I have. I don't have loads of money to burn and came across a Husqvarna 362xp for £250 ($365). It's second hand and very well used with battle scars to show. I haven't seen it run but the online description says it runs as intended. It's max recommended bar length is 24" which I would need to go up to for some projects. Is that a good price for a well-used 362xp and does it seem like a fitting saw for a moderate sized chainsaw mill?

Chris_In_VT

Chris_In_VT

Brrraaaaap!
I wouldn't mill with one, no. If you had it already, yeah, you could make it work. But to buy one with intentions to mill? Better buy a rebuild kit while your at it.
If you're trying to get into a cheap mill saw, look at some older saws. You can get big CC's for reasonable money. No chainbrake and lack of modern features can keep the price down on some models (some are just high anyways). Just do your homework.

Latest posts