One reason not to use motor oil as bar lube

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HUSKYMAN

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
BECAUSE IT CREATES A ####ING MESS!!!!!!!!!!

This is my 262XP I rescued off eBay last week. I know the MS361 is the modern perfect firewood saw, but I am not shelling out almost $700. It is the one current Stihl saw I would consider buying however.

Since Husqvarna has no match for the 361 in its current lineup a quick search of the archives showed me Husky had the perfect firewood saw and DISCONTINUED it:censored: :censored:

So I found this saw on eBay begging for a new home
attachment.php

attachment.php

You need to head over to Brad's to use his dishwasher. Why do people do that to machinery? Oh wait, I know the answer to that...

Looks like it'll be a fine saw once you chisel all the caramel out of it!

After the cleaning

I would very much like to see it when you finish cleaning up the oil spill.

The best reason not to use waste oil is the fact that it is full of carcinogens.

No more so than the meat and vegetables you buy in the store...

Plus the fact that it's full of metal shavings, carbon, fuel, and who knows what else. Besides, everyone knows that used oil goes on the driveway to keep the dust down.

Compression was a good 155psi, so a cleanup was in order. I didnt have a powerwasher available so I did a temporary cleanup for now
attachment.php

attachment.php

I like the 18" b/c, perfect for this saw

attachment.php

attachment.php

The best reason not to use waste oil is the fact that it is full of carcinogens.

I have an old 041AV which has seen a lot of use with old motor oil for bar lube, and this whole saw is one black mess :censored: :censored:

when I pulled the plug, a lot of black oil was running out of the plug whole, so this saw is probably damaged internally because of used motor oil.

Why people prefer to ruin a saw (or pump) by going cheap on bar oil is beyond me :angry2: .

Does the oil pump still work? people do just about anything to save a buck but taking shortcuts usually leads to disaster.

No more so than the meat and vegetables you buy in the store...

Plus the fact that it's full of metal shavings, carbon, fuel, and who knows what else. Besides, everyone knows that used oil goes on the driveway to keep the dust down.

Sorry dude but how can it be full of metal shavings? how would the engine you took the oil out of be running if it had all that crud in it? the oil filter should have caught all the bits. unless you took it out of an engine that destroyed itself!
Yes it could have some fuel maybe some carbon but is it much worse than whats in bar oil?
The boss gave me 20 gallons of new heavy engine oil thats not suitable for our current tractors so thats what im using at moment theres no more mess than with bar oil which i still use every few tankfuls to clean off any sap

Sorry dude but how can it be full of metal shavings? how would the engine you took the oil out of be running if it had all that crud in it? the oil filter should have caught all the bits. unless you took it out of an engine that destroyed itself!
Yes it could have some fuel maybe some carbon but is it much worse than whats in bar oil?
The boss gave me 20 gallons of new heavy engine oil thats not suitable for our current tractors so thats what im using at moment theres no more mess than with bar oil which i still use every few tankfuls to clean off any sap

Ever looked at used oil under a microscope? Not saying there are 1mm shards of metal in it, but there is metal there, hopefully too small to see, or the engine would eat itself like you said. Most of the real bad crud lays in the bottom of the oil pan, and never gets passed through the filter. When you remove the plug, the crud is right there to be drained out.

Oil analysis checks for very small particles, usually under 100 microns, as well as viscosity, pH and water content. Not saying it will be a metallic slurry, but there is some metal in all used engine oil.

Does the oil pump still work? people do just about anything to save a buck but taking shortcuts usually leads to disaster.

Yeah I flushed the oil tank and tested that right away, and it pumps good. No adjustable oiler on this saw but I turn em all up to the max anyways. Kind of a useless feature for me

Ever looked at used oil under a microscope? Not saying there are 1mm shards of metal in it, but there is metal there, hopefully too small to see, or the engine would eat itself like you said. Most of the real bad crud lays in the bottom of the oil pan, and never gets passed through the filter. When you remove the plug, the crud is right there to be drained out.

Oil analysis checks for very small particles, usually under 100 microns, as well as viscosity, pH and water content. Not saying it will be a metallic slurry, but there is some metal in all used engine oil.

Fair enough but were talking about a chainsaw oil pump they aint exactly precision pumps can it be any worse than any dust etc getting int the tank when you fill in dusty conditions
Im not saying to use used oil but i cant see how anything in it could hurt a saw oil pump
Ive cut used oil filters up, its amazing whats in them especially if its the first one after a rebuild!

I see I'm not the only one watching the 262's on eBay...!

LOL, then you are probably watching the mint one on there right now. Its quickly moving out of my price range. I was going to buy it and be set for a while on 262's but this one will keep me happy for a while.

My initial thoughts on the saw are that I love it but I havent been able to cut big wood with it because the bar cuts every log in a half moon:bang:
For only 62cc's it has a TON of jam, about equal to my 670 Jonsered which is no slouch.

My 970 is getting my 28" bar and wont be getting out to play too often anymore

Oh and I have NOT even modded the muffler yet

Last edited:
Fair enough but were talking about a chainsaw oil pump they aint exactly precision pumps can it be any worse than any dust etc getting int the tank when you fill in dusty conditions
Im not saying to use used oil but i cant see how anything in it could hurt a saw oil pump
Ive cut used oil filters up, its amazing whats in them especially if its the first one after a rebuild!

Agreed, I just don't want any grit at all in any machine I own if I can help it. I keep a small parts brush in my saw box to brush away any chips/dirt from the caps before I open them. Guy I work with has a shop furnace that burns used oil, I give all of mine to him, in return I can use his heated shop any time I want.

I have an old 041AV which has seen a lot of use with old motor oil for bar lube, and this whole saw is one black mess :censored: :censored:

when I pulled the plug, a lot of black oil was running out of the plug whole, so this saw is probably damaged internally because of used motor oil.

I doubt the used motor oil caused the problem. It likely already had a bad case gasket and the motor oil just finds it's way to the crancase more easily. It's just way too thin for chainsaw application.

Latest posts

Back