One reason not to use motor oil as bar lube

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt the used motor oil caused the problem. It likely already had a bad case gasket and the motor oil just finds it's way to the crancase more easily. It's just way too thin for chainsaw application.

That's possible of course. I bought it as a parts saw for the ignition that still worked. I don't know if the pump is shot or not, but I suppose it is. If it were a saw for further use, I would certainly take it apart.

I think the 60 to 65cc size is the ideal firewood saw. I have a J-red 2065 and its pretty much my go to saw. You'll like that one. How much did you pay?

I think the 60 to 65cc size is the ideal firewood saw. I have a J-red 2065 and its pretty much my go to saw. You'll like that one. How much did you pay?

$200. I have used a 365 Special (same saw) and its a great firewood saw. The reason I went for the 262XP is simply for the lighter weight and higher revs. Plus I like different saws you dont see all the time.

Get with you're dealer and see if he has a coil in stock, if not have him stock one, that is a VERY weak link with this saw.
There really isn't much, other than noise, to be gained by a muffler mod on this saw.
I'd like to find a blown up one, bad P/C, do a woods port and see what can be gained!!
Nice find!

$200. I have used a 365 Special (same saw) and its a great firewood saw. The reason I went for the 262XP is simply for the lighter weight and higher revs. Plus I like different saws you dont see all the time.

Nice score. Perfect firewood machine with the 18" bar. Yeah I was looking at the one on e-b. Nice shape but moving out of range.:cheers:

How bout ATF "WRONG"

:chainsaw: That was what was in the oil tank of my latest junker pick up. Now that was a mess. Bad part it was another MS250. Got it all squared away in about 3 hours. It's outta here. I finally hit saturation point. To many to keep up. On another point: Quote from wife after seeing dishwashers being used to clean up saws. "You ever put a chainsaw in my dishwasher, The cadiver dogs won't even be able to find you body" Dang.

I would think another good reason not to use used motor oil is because it is somewhat corrosive/acidic from all the byproducts caused by combustion and such. That oil's not good to be sitting there in your case. It dose bad things to rod and main bearings too if it just sits there.

:chainsaw: That was what was in the oil tank of my latest junker pick up. Now that was a mess. Bad part it was another MS250. Got it all squared away in about 3 hours. It's outta here. I finally hit saturation point. To many to keep up. On another point: Quote from wife after seeing dishwashers being used to clean up saws. "You ever put a chainsaw in my dishwasher, The cadiver dogs won't even be able to find you body" Dang.

Now THAT'S a woman you don't fool with! Good threat, did you ask her how she planned to do it? That's the point of the conversation when I have to duck alot.

She's a RN in a trama unit.

Now THAT'S a woman you don't fool with! Good threat, did you ask her how she planned to do it? That's the point of the conversation when I have to duck alot.

Buried over 9 feet deep, dogs can't smell the body. I ant asking nothing else!

Good god what a freaking mess. A hot water pressure washer would really clean it up nice though.

Don't laugh, but I just spent over $800 on my 575xp, including a Power Box and some extras, money well spent I think.

How do you like the Ryobi cordless fan? I see their One+ tool system and it looks really innovative, they have a lot of cool tools nobody else has thought of and their prices are reasonable.

I burned up a Ryobi drill building my barn, but other than that the tools have been nice. Two other buddies run them too and have had no problems, other than the batteries are useless after about three years. My favorite Ryobi is the mini impact drill, I use it a lot.

I see you pulled the trigger on a 575XP, man you got the fever bad. Sorry!

Lesson Learned

Does the oil pump still work? people do just about anything to save a buck but taking shortcuts usually leads to disaster.

No kidding. In 1985, I put 80W gear oil in my little John Deere (Echo) not knowing any better (my first ever saw, long gone), and it turned the oil line into mush. Too bad, it was a scrappy little saw, never bogged down unless I pinched it. I had no idea how to split the case back then. Now it's all Stihl products, exc. for the gal. of Dolmar oil I finished up last year.

Do the right thing, because it's the right thing to do.

I burned up a Ryobi drill building my barn, but other than that the tools have been nice. Two other buddies run them too and have had no problems, other than the batteries are useless after about three years. My favorite Ryobi is the mini impact drill, I use it a lot.

I see you pulled the trigger on a 575XP, man you got the fever bad. Sorry!

Yeah I bit the bullet, I wanted the most awesome saw I could get and I found it, spent a good chunk of my tax return, but I have blown money on more foolish crap, like women and snowmobiles, at least a chainsaw I can use year round and I am not going to be making payments on it. Hopefully I can try it out later this week.

I like the Ryobi tools, I might even retire (yard sale) my B&D 12v set so I have an excuse to get them, I have not had good luck with the B&D stuff holding up. My Bosch 18v set rocks though.

The set of Dewalt cordless tools I have is great, but for the money the Ryobis are great if you don't use them every day. I have the Sears impact gun, that is one handy little tool.

Back to the oil.....

My B&D impact driver is great for working on saws, and I don't feel bad about getting a $70 tool all greasy and nasty. Too bad the battery life sucks for the 12v.

Yes back to oil, I think from now on I am only going to use Husky XP bar oil in all my saws, as well as using their XP 2-stroke oil for all my 2-stroke equipment, the sales guy said that it is good enough oil that I can run anything I want at the 50:1 mix without fear of burning it up. But I am not opening that can of worms again.

1) Used engine oil is classified as toxic waste...

2) It destroys oil pumps - metalic and carbon particles... it is DRAIN oil... from the bottom of the sump...

3) It really pisses me off to work on a saw that is coveed in the cr?p. But... it's time and materials, so I spend a lot of time cleaning it all off.... and could give a damn if they never come back:chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

1) Used engine oil is classified as toxic waste...

2) It destroys oil pumps - metalic and carbon particles... it is DRAIN oil... from the bottom of the sump...

3) It really pisses me off to work on a saw that is coveed in the cr?p. But... it's time and materials, so I spend a lot of time cleaning it all off.... and could give a damn if they never come back:chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

What do you think of my post?

Back