DP Muffler Cover

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LazyJ

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Here's the one I bought today, I had searched all over this forum for a good pic of one with no luck so I thought I'd post a pic. I had to order it on "blind faith" from everyone's recommendation.

Part #1128 140 0801 for $26.81 plus tax. No hurry to install it, I've put 4 tanks of gas through the 440 now and it's Stihl freakin' me out every time it lights into a log, I'm not quite ready to make it any meaner.

Left side view
IMG_1875.jpg

Head on
IMG_1876.jpg

thanks for the pics

can't wait for mine

how much of a retune did you have to do?

Will this fit an 044?

My buddy has been looking to get one. His dealer says they dont make one for the 044. :monkey:

To take full advantage of the 440's power (short of doing a full woods mod), you should enlarge the factory port as much as is easily possible (keep it round, maybe 9/16th id) and enlarge the cover port by about 1/3. You'll prolly need a tool to remove and replace the limiter tabs, after retuning the carb.

To take full advantage of the 440's power (short of doing a full woods mod), you should enlarge the factory port as much as is easily possible (keep it round, maybe 9/16th id) and enlarge the cover port by about 1/3. You'll prolly need a tool to remove and replace the limiter tabs, after retuning the carb.

+1

Here's the one I bought today, I had searched all over this forum for a good pic of one with no luck so I thought I'd post a pic. I had to order it on "blind faith" from everyone's recommendation.

Part #1128 140 0801 for $26.81 plus tax. No hurry to install it, I've put 4 tanks of gas through the 440 now and it's Stihl freakin' me out every time it lights into a log, I'm not quite ready to make it any meaner.

Left side view
IMG_1875.jpg

Head on
IMG_1876.jpg

Awesome! Great price too! Go ahead and put it on but make sure to retune the carb before cutting again.

Is there a cover like that for a Stihl 036? This was my dad's saw and I know it is an older model Do the older Stihls do better with these DP mufflers?

From what I understand, the older saws don't benefit as much from a muffler mod because the EPA hadn't gotten around to strangling them yet. I don't know when that cutoff would be. I'm pretty sure that the dual port covers are only factory options for the 066/660 and 044/440. I think but am not certain that those covers originally came on 044 and 066 and just happen to also fit the newer 440 and 660. I'm sure someone will correct me in short order if I'm mistaken.

Ian

Edit: I just looked up the 036 at acres place and it was first introduced in 93 so it would benefit from a muffler mod but I don't think Stihl offers a bolt-on solution. If you or a friend are handy with a welder, this is a good way to do it, courtesy of Lakeside 53. Use a 1/2" bolt spacer for the tube, you can get it from any good hardware store.

Last edited:
I just checked and there is a DP cover pictured in the IPL for an 034 but there is no part included. So I guess doing it yourself is the easiest method for moding a 036/360 muffler.

You got a good price on DP cover, $35 for 440/460 DP and $45 for 066/660
DP cover here.

What I was "planning" was to leave the stock port alone and make the slot on the cover about twice the size, wouldn't that be about right?

Latest posts

Back