Yes...this is an oil thread....sythetic advice needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sILlogger

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
one yeat ago i bought enough stihl dino to make 150 gallons of gas. i used my last bottle yesterday. and now i plan to switch to synthetic. I purchased a quart of Mobil Racing 2T yesterday and mixed it 48:1 (according to a Bailey's Ratio-Rite) anyway this Mobil doesn't dye the fuel very well.

so this is what im getting at...i know this is prolly like a Chevy vs. Ford thing. but im looking for some advice.
  • Stihl ultra; 5 gallon mixes $135/case
    Amsoil
    Mobil racing 2T $9/quart
    Royal Purple

not trying to start a pissing match, just looking for some advice. i'm gonna buy it in quantity because i go through so much

I have always been afraid to use anything other than chainsaw brand oil in my saws (mostly JRed, Husky and currently Shindaiwa). No basis for this, just a little paranoid.

I like/use the Mobil 2T at 50:1, but like Bio said NLA if you go with it you will be changing again when you run out. Autozones around here are finally starting to run out (I knew I'd eventually clean them out :D)

I love the smell of Ultra in the morning...

. . . . . . . . . . . . .
jpshakehead.gif

. . . . . . . (what were you thinking)

z7shysterical.gif

Last edited:
I use Mobil One 2T synthetic in everything 2 cycle I own and never found anything better. My engines actualy idle faster and respond to the throttle faster and rev higher with just the change in oil. I have never had an oil do that before in my 30 years of 2 cycle operation. If you would like to dye your mix more or a certain color you can use liquid candle dye, it is concentrated and only takes a few drops per gallon. It is available at craft stores or on ebay, I dye my MX2T blue. Good luck!

Klotz R50 $35/gallon

I totally agree. Best oil there is. Why buy oil from a chainsaw company? Buy it from an Oil company.

Because the chainsaw company can have it custom blended to meet the spec they need...

Stihl Ultra...and don't look back!!!

I have no problem with Dino oil but the stuff I have been using the last few years is great much less build up in the muffler:) Even my boat mechanic Told me they changed their formula and in the TCW3 oil it is as good as any.
Now I dont't use that stuff in my saw's. Stihls Ultra seems to be good stuff but hard to get here and double the price of anything else just like their saws.I really don't think you can go wrong running a good name brand syn oil:)

Amsoil

I have been using Amsoil for six years now and do not have a complaint. I use it at 3 oz per gallon that comes out to 40/1.You will see that it has mix in it.My Stihl, and Husky's seem to thrive on it.Easier starts,great acceleration,and no smoke, Ken

Because the chainsaw company can have it custom blended to meet the spec they need...

Stihl Ultra...and don't look back!!!

I'd love to see a gas spec analysis on it as I reckon it's probably only Castrol Power 1 Racing 2T (TTS) in a Stihl bottle seeing as Castrol blends and bottles Stihl's lubes worldwide.

Moot point as the Stihl Ultra isn't available here anyway.

Last edited:
Back