stihl quick release caps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ac45

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Has any one had any trouble with the new quick release caps leaking. A friend that is in the trimming business says the new caps leak very bad comapred to the old ones. has anyone else had this problem.

Yes. They also trap crud that cannot be wiped away before opening the caps, then the crud has no place to go but into the tanks. The new caps suck. So do the fixed jet carbs. Save your old Stihls and keep them running at any cost. The new ones are not very well thought out and are designed to please the EPA at the frustration of the consumer.

Out of the 600 pieces of stihl equipment we sold this year, mostly saws, The only saws I got in for leaky caps were MS170's, due to a recall on the tank, not the cap, it was the old screw caps too.

Some people need to learn to adjust to changes, rather than change the adjustments :D

Carb adjustments on a running saw are just compensating for changes, either dirt, air leak, or bad fuel. Only other case would be along the lines of a mod of the saw.

I have no problems with the saws with limiters ect...

Carb adjustments on a running saw are just compensating for changes, either dirt, air leak, or bad fuel. Only other case would be along the lines of a mod of the saw. [/QUOTe
Jim, The problem is that the ms 260 runs like poop out of the box. I would never buy another. When mine nites it I am going to get a 346xp.

Jim,
Try stepping out from behind the sales counter for a day or two and go out and USE one of these new saws 'out of the box'. Then come back and tell us how great these new caps are after you try to refuel a dirty saw in the field. That is, if you can get it to cut worth a sh!t without taking it back to the shop to set the carb up properly instead of fine tuning the jet with a screwdriver. I am not one to mess with carb adjustments often. Usually once a year or so. But that is AFTER I get it adjusted properly to begin with. I've owned this POS fixed jet carb for 8 months and STILL am not happy with how it is set up. It finally cuts well but I can burn a tank of fuel in about 11 minutes. If I had an adjustable carb (even with limiter caps) I could have it set up in 5 minutes and not mess with it any more. I have bought 3 different jets (all three were backordered and not available from the distributor, 2 weeks + wait on each order) and messed with that carb all I'm going to. I am buying an older carb that can be used by a reasonably intelligent person instead of the 'idiot proof' fixed jet carb. I will NEVER buy a Stihl chainsaw with a fixed jet carb!
:blob2:

Oh, the caps suck, too. Try opening one on a DIRTY saw IN THE FIELD instead of in your shop next to the air compressor hose without getting crud in the tank. Occassionally, people have to refuel a saw between cleanings. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by treeclimber165
Jim,
Try stepping out from behind the sales counter for a day or two and go out and USE one of these new saws 'out of the box'. Then come back and tell us how great these new caps are after you try to refuel a dirty saw in the field. That is, if you can get it to cut worth a sh!t without taking it back to the shop to set the carb up properly instead of fine tuning the jet with a screwdriver. I am not one to mess with carb adjustments often. Usually once a year or so. But that is AFTER I get it adjusted properly to begin with. I've owned this POS fixed jet carb for 8 months and STILL am not happy with how it is set up. It finally cuts well but I can burn a tank of fuel in about 11 minutes. If I had an adjustable carb (even with limiter caps) I could have it set up in 5 minutes and not mess with it any more. I have bought 3 different jets (all three were backordered and not available from the distributor, 2 weeks + wait on each order) and messed with that carb all I'm going to. I am buying an older carb that can be used by a reasonably intelligent person instead of the 'idiot proof' fixed jet carb. I will NEVER buy a Stihl chainsaw with a fixed jet carb!
:blob2:

Oh, the caps suck, too. Try opening one on a DIRTY saw IN THE FIELD instead of in your shop next to the air compressor hose without getting crud in the tank. Occassionally, people have to refuel a saw between cleanings. :rolleyes:

Well hold on there partner!

I don't work behind the sales desk, in fact I have never sold a piece of stihl power equipment at the store. I just work on the stuff durring the evening.
Durring the day time hours I cut timber for a living, use a saw everyday.

BUT I will say I have never used a saw with the new caps, or a non adjustable carb, all I run are 066's.

Guy I work with has 2 new MS460's and he loves the new caps.
I get alot of people that like them they say " dont need me any wrench any more"....

I have used about all the new saws, just making some test cuts, but not a all day experience.

Originally posted by guff
they'll probably come up with a rubber cover to go snuggly over top of their better idea..of course only available from a reputable stihl dealer..2-3 weeks wait.....................guff

2 to 3 weeks? I can order parts on Monday by 10 am and have them tuesday at noon if they are in stock at the warehouse .

Jim- Most Stihl parts are available here that quickly, but even the distributor doesn't stock the fixed jets. Which means that every new Stihl saw owner in central Florida is running their saws without ever having adjusted the carb. I doubt very seriously that the guy on the assembly line in Virginia will set up the saw to run perfectly in Orlando. I will not run a saw that is only running at 90%. I want my saws running dang near perfectly and that is not feasable with the new Stihls.

And the lip on the new fuel tanks inside the caps trap crud. No way to clean it off without removing the cap, then the crud has no place to go except down into the tank.

{stepping down off my soap box now} :rolleyes:

Brian, when i bought i hated the new caps as well if you remember i had a problem with them. I found out after going through 2 replacements that it wasn't the caps that were leaking but the fuel vent was the prob (my dealer was really great about helping me with it, didn't charge me anything) since then i've had NO problems at all and have even learned to like the new caps:angel: and when i'm cutting with the 460 i usually use 5-8 tanks per day felling with it (everyday for the last 4 weeks and usually at least once a day everyday) and as long as i brush the dirt off aroung the tank first I don't have any problems, at least not yet and i have probably 15 gallons through it.

Do huskys still have a high and low adjustment. I have found it helpfull to sometimes adjust the carb due to weather differences, from a 90 degree day to a 15 degree day. It seems like over the years most of my saws have needed a little tweaking every couple of years. Maybe its just my 20 year old saws, but if they last they all get old. It seems like it is easier to tune one in with a screwdriver, then to rebuild the carb

jets

1 The dealer should check it before you get it.
2 Too many people adjust to compensate for a defect elsewhere.
3 Clean around the cap.

If you wentthat many sizes to get a saw to run right, you have another problem. It is called an air leak. But don't worry, it will show up later, it is called lean seize.

Have a nice day. :p

Stihl tech, If the 27 and 28 are pro saws why are they grouped with the 029?
As far as the fixed jet issue goes. It stinks.My saw doesnt have a air leak or any other mechanical condition. The dealer has tesetd it and given back to me saying nothing is wrong. Hes right to a point in that the saw doesnt have any operational issues. It just doesnt cut like it should. Tell you what. Take a 260 pro and make a cut, then back the ls screw out and make another. What you will find is that every time you back out the screw cut speed increase till you get about three turns out. As I am sure you know the LS jet provides fuel to the HS circuit also. BY adjusting the LS rich you are dumping more fuel into the HS and increasing performance. Now had the morons at Stihl just put an adjustable HS jet you wouldnt need to back out the LS which causes your fuel consumption to go through the roof and the saw to run dirty.

Originally posted by bwalker
Stihl tech, If the 27 and 28 are pro saws why are they grouped with the 029?
As far as the fixed jet issue goes. It stinks.My saw doesnt have a air leak or any other mechanical condition. The dealer has tesetd it and given back to me saying nothing is wrong. Hes right to a point in that the saw doesnt have any operational issues. It just doesnt cut like it should. Tell you what. Take a 260 pro and make a cut, then back the ls screw out and make another. What you will find is that every time you back out the screw cut speed increase till you get about three turns out. As I am sure you know the LS jet provides fuel to the HS circuit also. BY adjusting the LS rich you are dumping more fuel into the HS and increasing performance. Now had the morons at Stihl just put an adjustable HS jet you wouldnt need to back out the LS which causes your fuel consumption to go through the roof and the saw to run dirty.

Then you are running lean?

I don't like the new style caps. I always have a screwdriver with me. It's in my hand out of habit when I'm refueling. I don't like how I have to mess around with not getting dirt in the tanks. :angry:

I have never had a leak though. But I only have the new caps on my 260. (I made sure to get the old style caps on the 066).

I prefer the new caps to the old..don't need to remember th screwdriver to do/undo.. but, in getting those (certainly on the 026/MS280), Stihl have snatched back one of my favourites, tyhe semi transparent fuel tanks. I was sorely tempted to buy a Husky 346XP, but rejected it because the equivalent Stihl (026) had a transparent fuel tank and the Husky didn't. Disappointed to find my new MS260 fueltank is not really transparent.. after using the old ones, having to constantly open the cap to check petrol is not better than simply looking at the tank..and the sort of cutting I do, you forget how much fuel is left..so the transparent tanks were a help to me.

To summarise.. wasn't broke, shouldn't have fixed!!:mad:

Originally posted by bwalker
Jim, Thats exactly my point. The 260 is way lean from the factory with no way to fix it except to swap out jets.

Sorry, but I don't think every 260 we sold this year left the shop running lean.
All I have done to a MS260, non pro, was put on a new handle, top cover, and muffler, where the guy dropped something on it and broke it.

I usually top off the tank any time I check how full it is.

Though all my saws I work with have transparent tanks. 066.

Back