stihl quick release caps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the new caps. Even with the old caps, some dirt will get in there. Then every two or three years, you gotta change the filter, no big deal.
If it's a real big problem, try sharpening your saw once in a while, you won't have all that dust. Also, don't slobber gas and oil all over when you refill, then the big chips from the sharp saw won't stick around the caps.:D

Jim, I amy refering to the 260 pro. My saw has the issue as do my freinds. Treeclimbers saw also has the issue, three saws that all have the same thing wrong tells me that its not a isolated problem.

If its such a big problem take it to the dealer and explain, we are out there to fix stuff like this.

Originally posted by JimL
If its such a big problem take it to the dealer and explain, we are out there to fix stuff like this.
JimL wears Stihl underwear. You just don't get it, do you? I think I'll keep my 028 and 038.

My dealer is good, but there is only so much you can do with that stupid fixed jet. He actually gave me a full adjust carb out of the scrap pile for the saw. I havent got a chance to put it on yet.

And I bought an adjustable carb last night. I should have it by Thursday.
My friends and collegues on this site have helped me 100 times more than my dealer. And I have a relatively good Stihl dealer locally. Jim- I like Stihl saws. I just don't like the new
'improvements' that are designed to idiot-proof the saws but in reality make them practically unfit for use. Since you are running 066's, you have not had the pleasure of trying to run a saw with a fixed jet- YET. Come back next year after Stihl screws up the 066 and spout your company song.

ST- I considered your words of advice and tried to test my saw myself for any air leak even though my dealer said I had no leak. I started the saw and set it at fast idle. Then I took a can of aerosol carb cleaner and sprayed all around the bottom of the jug, spark plug and any other seals I could get to. I never got any change of pitch or RPM from the saw. To the best of my knowledge, I do not have a leak.

Originally posted by treeclimber165
And I bought an adjustable carb last night. I should have it by Thursday.
My friends and collegues on this site have helped me 100 times more than my dealer. And I have a relatively good Stihl dealer locally. Jim- I like Stihl saws. I just don't like the new
'improvements' that are designed to idiot-proof the saws but in reality make them practically unfit for use. Since you are running 066's, you have not had the pleasure of trying to run a saw with a fixed jet- YET. Come back next year after Stihl screws up the 066 and spout your company song.

Got 7 running 066's and a pile of parts for them a mile high it seems.

Be a while before I buy a new one :p

Originally posted by daveb
JimL wears Stihl underwear. You just don't get it, do you? I think I'll keep my 028 and 038.

I think Ill hang onto both of my 038's and 028.

Jim-
I want the phone number of your pressure washer girl! :p

{referencing the attached picture in previous post}

Brian, all you have to do is go down to your Stihl dealer and pick up a 2003 calendar - that's the February girl.

Yeah thats the 03 stihl calander, if the dealer don't have any, I think i got a couple layin around id sell ya.

I mentioned this oil cap problem to my dealer after using my new MS340 (as they call it in Canada) and he said I was the first to complain.After running the first two gallons of gas through it I've dumped at least two tanks of chain oil on the ground or myself! You are also right on more dirt and dust gettinginto the tank as Stihl placed the o-ring low on the cap.It really does take a extra effort to make sure the cap is properly seated and locked. Thanks Dieseldog!

Originally posted by Dieseldog
I mentioned this oil cap problem to my dealer after using my new MS340 (as they call it in Canada) and he said I was the first to complain.After running the first two gallons of gas through it I've dumped at least two tanks of chain oil on the ground or myself! You are also right on more dirt and dust gettinginto the tank as Stihl placed the o-ring low on the cap.It really does take a extra effort to make sure the cap is properly seated and locked. Thanks Dieseldog!

You must have a huge leak to loose a tank of baroil!
Extra effort? Turn and click, pretty easy for most people?

F you, Jim
Stihl has already recalled the first 3000 270's and 280's sold for leaking fuel tanks. Unfortunately, every new Stihl uses the identical caps as those recalled.

I dumped a tank of oil down my leg when I first got my 026 too thinking it was closed right. I've had it about 6 months now and still don't like the caps, maybe my hands are too big or? I can't grab that little stinkin cap and twist it on there right without working at it, give me the old ones back please.

Thought I'd add, besides that I really like the saw, nice mid size and weight.:D

Latest posts

Back