I don't understand types of chain... what to get for my MS210?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brages

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi, folks.

As mentioned in my other post, I just got my first saw, an MS210. I guess that it would be smart to get an extra chain in case I dull mine, maybe an extra bar too, in case I pinch the bar while working alone.

The MS210 comes with 3/8" "PMC" chain... the model is 63 PMC3 55. Does that mean that it has 55 drive links? So any compatible chain will need to be 55 links to fit on my bar (16" 3003 812 7013 Ematic)? Are the chains/bars from Bailey's good? Should I stick with Stihl?

What different kinds of chain are there? Should I stick with safety chain, being a newbie?

My brother-in-law says he has several chains from some Poulan saws that were once used at his work; he suggested I take them. Are these likely to fit? How can I tell?

Stihl has a chain+case promo for ~$40 with purchase of a new saw... I think the dealer will still let me get this, if I want it, because I had someone else buy the saw for me. Should I?

I need to get some files, too, to keep the chain sharp. What do I need? (a new thread, maybe)?

Last edited:
Hi...

Thats up to you,,if it cuts good now and feels good,,stick with it....I dont know how a 210 will pull a yellow chain,,but you think it's ok,,stick with it...I was ok with mine....

P.s.

Yes!! Go back and get your case...Take your receipt and get that case!!!!!

You got 3/8th's on a 210?? I'm thinking you should ask the dealer to put on a .325 sprocket and run .325 chisel chain. You'll see a world of difference.

You got 3/8th's on a 210?? I'm thinking you should ask the dealer to put on a .325 sprocket and run .325 chisel chain. You'll see a world of difference.

Like I said, I don't know anything about this stuff, but it looks like 3/8" is what comes on a MS210. 0.325 would cut better?

Mine came with the .325 pico..

Yes...get a case,,it would be worth it,,well in my eyes it is..You spent the money for a good decent saw,,,protect it.....

So, the key things are: 0.050 gauge, 3/8" pitch, 55 links. Anything else won't fit.

And I want low-profile so the chain can pull it. "Safety" chain or not based on my confidence/aversion to risk.

"Picco" is Stihl's term for low-profile..?

Here is what you need

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Stihl-Chains-...20538QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262.

Just bought 2 chains from him in this size for my 021 for $18. Sure beats the $22 I paid for one at the stihler ship. Make sure your saw is 3/8th and not .325

Brian

OILOMATIC® STIHL PICCO™ Micro™ thgese are YELLOW label not low kickback chain "This product has increased risk of kickback injury and is for use only by persons with extraordinary cutting needs and experience and specialized training for dealing with kickback."
OILOMATIC® STIHL PICCO™ Micro™
For sale 2 Stihl Chains (3/8 PICCO WITH 55 DRIVERS) THAT FIT ON A 16" bar. MOST COMMON STIHL SAWS INCLUDES .021, MS210, 180C

For Stihl Chainsaws E14, E140, E180, E180C, MS 170, MS180, MS180C, MS180C-B, MS180C-BE, MS191T MS192T, MS200, MS200T, MS210, MS210C, MS210C-BE, MSE140 021, 023, 023C,023L, MSE140C, MSE140C-BQ, MSE180C, MSE180C-BQ

Last edited:
If the saw came with 3/8 lo-pro chain, there is nothing wrong with staying with 3/8 lo-pro. As far as what chain to buy, Stihl chain is good chain, but rather expensive. You can get loops of Oregon 91VX (3/8 lo-pro, non safety) 55 DL for around $11-$12. Get a few 5/32" files and Husky roller file guide to go with it and you'll be in business.

You may care to check the dealer first. I see that the 16.99 chains also come with 10.50 freight!!!

Dealer prices do vary a bit but if you spend a few bucks more for 2 chains that don't need shipped, you have the advantage of talking to the dealer about YOUR cutting needs and getting some advise.

I'm very careful about selling yellow chains for low powered saws especially to new users. Just TOO many lawyers out there today...............

You are getting 2 stihl chains for that $16.99 price. Shipping is a little pricey but for under $30 bucks you get the best chain around. Even Bailey's 91VX with shipping is going to run $13-15 a piece. $22 at the stihl dealer.

Stihl dealers around here are a bunch of :monkey: not much help and it will be anti kickback chain all the way. They don't know what yellow chain is :buttkick: Had to give the part number for an 066 rim sprocket today at the Ace hardware. :chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back