Oil Mix Ratio & Carb Settings Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leeave96

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My old Stihl 038 and my 034 were made at a time when Stihl recommended a 40:1 using Stihl mix. My Dad's old Homelite recommends a 32:1 using Homelite mix.

Most all of the new chainsaws, except for Poulan, are 50:1 mix. Poulan still being a 40:1 mix.

If you are not using Stihl mix, they recommend 25:1 for Stihl and the Homelite 16:1 mix if you are not using Homelite oil.

I gather that the more oil, the leaner the mix would be at a given carb setting. I also gather that newer oils, like Stihl mix, would be OK (maybe) at 50:1 for the older Stihl's like mine, the new Poulan's and perhaps the old Homelite. Would this be correct?

Do you find it necessary to readjust the carb to compensate for the oil ratio? So if I ran 40:1 in a new saw that requires 50:1, the mix would be a bit leaner? Or would the saw just weep oil out of the exhaust with a 40:1 or 32:1 mix?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Bill

i run 40-1 in all of my 2 strokers. as long as you use a good quality oil such as stihl ultra you will be fine with this mixture. personally i use klotz R50 full synthetic oil. if you do a search on this subject you will find a TON of info on it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back