2 stroke oil life span (Yes I have searched)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanManofStihl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Have not posted up in a while but have been wondering I bought 5 cases of mobil one MX2T about 3 years ago give or take and was wondering does 2 stroke oil have a life span? I know it has sat in the earth for thousands of years that is not what I am asking. But once it is refined sat at the warehouse and then at at the store then sat in my garage does it start to lose some of its properties? I have looked through and I really did not find any thing but 821 posts of 50/1 verse 32/1 synthetic verses regular.

I would think it would be fine but again it is not going into my chainsaws. If you are worried mix up a rich test batch (40:1) and run it in least favorite chainsaw or better yet your neighbors saw. If you are really worried just sell it on Ebay and use the proceeds to purchase some Stihl Ultra.

40,000,000,000 years ago I started out as a molecule

GARY!!!!!

Not just any molecule, mind you, but one that was destined to be mined, refined, wined, dined, pinched in the behind, and squooped down into those little bottles of oil you have on hand. Those that are causing you all the consternation.

I'd consider, as much as a 40,000,000,000 year old molecule can consider, that that junk wasn't spun up the day before you bought it, so it's old. Older than you could ever imagine.

But MX2T is synthetic yes?

I Stihl have some Ultra from a couple (2) years ago, that I have no fright about using up. Now that I have a hungry saw I might get it gone sooner than later... I'd suggest making that stuff gone soon too.

Reread 5 cases?? Cut some wood!

I bought alittle bit more then 5 cases but I am down to about the last 8 pints of it and what got me wondering was the labels were actually coming off. Then I realized just how old they are I got them before mobil one went from pints to quarts.

I am probably just going to put the rest of the old oil in my duramaxs fuel tank I have some fresh oil I am going to run through my blowers and saws. Spacemule that was exactly what I was loooking for. Thanks for everyones help

Last edited:
I have 2T that is over 4 years old that I am using with no problems whatsoever.

Heck, I have motor oil that is 10 years old that I have used.

It might not be any good in 20 years, but I dont think 2 years is going to hurt a thing.

Why not mix it with some fresh dino oil.

I have a lawnboy mower & use 50/50 2T & LB oil

The only trouble you should have will be the dye seperating and gelling up but it takes several years for this to happen!

just dont keep any oil in metal cans it will oxidize. Oil in and of itself never goes bad, it gets contaminated and rendered less usefull for its particular purpose.

See? There is a bright future here for GaryWay products! One man's junk is another man's gold. We will sell it on AS and shut these oil threads down for good!

What oil should I buy? GaryWay
What oil do you all use? GaryWay
What ratio do you mix oil? Read the GaryWay lable.
What bar oil should I use? GaryWay
How long does GaryWay oil last? Read the GaryWay lable.

Last edited:
Holy carp Dan... you come back after all this time and ask an oil question?

Wow... you should know better... :)

Gary

Lol I only saw three oil questions on the first page so I knew right then that I had to go ahead and ask. Other then that how have ya been long time no hear.

Back