Pictures Wanted! Near the stove wood storage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickochet

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been using a small U shaped rack for wood storage near my Napoleon 1900. As the winter progresses, I am using a little more wood and need to store more wood near the stove. Would you please post some pictures of what you use for wood storage close to the stove?

Thanks & Happy New Year!!!!!

Rick, I don't have any pictures but here is a brief description. My stove sits on 7" high cast iron legs. I stack my wood on both sides but no higher than the legs. I store <20% moisture wood and have had none ignite. Any wood that had surface moisture dries out pretty quick. Otherwise my wood is stored on the basement stairway landing and I can put 3 days worth in storage, if needed. The remainder is outside, under a canopy, 10'x20'.

No pics Rick, but here's what works for us with 2 stoves going 24/7 in winter, with no backup.
There is a typical wood rack beside each stove holding about 3-5 full loads. The use depends on outdoor temps and wind, so lately with temps in the single digits and winds over 25 mph, the stoves are loaded 4-5+ x per day when we're home all day like on weekends. We have a "storm woodshed" beside the front door for heavy snow or rain storms; it holds near 1/2 cord. The rest of the time I'll fill the stove racks with stacked wood from the main woodshed filled into a cart, then arm loaded into the racks. Both racks take no more than 10 minutes/day to refill each morning. Depends on the coffee and the night before. :confused:
When we have cold and wind like recently, I use a "secret" stash of red oak for colder temps; the oak burns hotter, slower so we use less than the usual softer hardwoods burnt most of the winter: red maple and paper birch. But we don't have much oak to harvest here.
Most 24/7 with no backup wood burners do get compulsive about the "system" of burning, stacking, using. We purposely built the storm woodshed when we built our place because of past bad times hauling wood from storage to the stoves in snow or rain. BTW: a woodshed that holds most of what you'll use in a winter near the stoves is mandatory. Ours holds about 5-6 cords and is +/- 50 feet from the back doors to the stoves.
You'll find the system of hauling and storage that works for you.
When we get the digicam down right maybe some pics.:dizzy:
Good luck.

I made this out of some old pallets , holds enough for a day and a half , plus my wood pile is just outside my back door

cat018.jpg

Rick,
Sorry, no pic, but here's my setup. I used to work at a container tree nursery, and I have a couple dozen 10--20 gallon tree containers that I fill and carry in the house and store on either side of my fireplace insert. I can stack enough buckets on just one side of the stove for about 3 days and cold/nasty weather. I also have two plastic keg bins closest to the stove (about 18" from the front) that I try to rotate the buckets into frequently since they have holes in the bottom, this keeps the debris somewhat contained (between a 2 year old Newfoundland, and a 2 year old daughter, the less crap to clean up the better).

I have a small covered back porch that I run wheelbarrow loads onto when the weather is decent (usually just dumped on the floor I can get 3-4 weeks worth of wood out there). Then I can pre-load the containers when I'm out with the dog or working outside so when I want to bring some in, I just open the door, grab a container full and I'm inside. I find this nicer than carrying armloads at a time that then drop stuff along the way, and have to be put down somewhere when you get inside. And since I heat 95% wood, and have to reload the stove about 6-8X/day during average cold, I find the container system is as good as I can do right now.

There you go Rick: 3 different methods for handling wood from serious wood burners.
Wood has debris: bark, dirt, dead critters, saw dust, it's there. You can't keep it out of the house if you're 24/7 burning, but manage it. The tree containers or a box are good stuff. I dump the splits into a cart from the woodshed so most of the debris gets to the bottom of the cart. Then arm load the splits from the cart to the stove rack so more gets off the splits when picking up the laods from the cart. The boss asks me to sweep up after each fill in the mornings. I follow orders well.:cry:
We also tried, but didn't like the debris spill, a log cart that holds more than most racks--you load and roll into the house. It turned out to be more trouble than worth it. HOWEVER! If the log cart had a cover over the frame to hold the debris, it could work. Google the log carts, there are many kinds with two bike wheels that fit through doors. It also brings in snow and dirt.
So many choices huh ? You gotta try what works for you.

I use a couple of these. Roll them outside, fill them up, then roll them inside near my woodstove...

286435_front200.jpg

There you go Rick: 3 different methods for handling wood from serious wood burners.
Wood has debris: bark, dirt, dead critters, saw dust, it's there. You can't keep it out of the house if you're 24/7 burning, but manage it. The tree containers or a box are good stuff. I dump the splits into a cart from the woodshed so most of the debris gets to the bottom of the cart. Then arm load the splits from the cart to the stove rack so more gets off the splits when picking up the laods from the cart. The boss asks me to sweep up after each fill in the mornings. I follow orders well.:cry:
We also tried, but didn't like the debris spill, a log cart that holds more than most racks--you load and roll into the house. It turned out to be more trouble than worth it. HOWEVER! If the cart had a cover over the frame to hold the debris, it could work. Google the log carts, there are many kinds with two bike wheels that fit through doors. It also brings in snow and dirt.
So many choices huh ? You gotta try what works for you.

Kinda like this : )
IMG_5884.jpg

I have a small stove, all cut to 16 inch maximum lengths.
I have a large wooden bin that was a family heirloom, but takes double handling to move wod into and out of it, so I keep it full for bad weather days only. For daily usage, I have a large canvas bag, but can't buy anymore of those. Now using the large grey rubbermaid tubs. 18 gal size is too smal, I think 22-24 gallon is the older ones I have. big enough for some wood, yet I can carry them. Stack full at the wood storage, stack a few tubs full in the back porch, and bring in one at a time as needed and set it a few feet from the stove.. all the bark junk stays in the tubs.
When aesthetics matter, I take the tubs out and work from the wood bin.

kcj

no pics here myself either but heres what i do. around september-october it really depends on how wet or dry it has been i bring in about a cord and a half. i stack it on the far end wall of the cellar. if i had to guess its maybe 30ft from the stove. somepeople dont like my method cuse they think it drags all kinds of bugs into the house. i have never found it to be a noticeable thing. that pile is for january or february when i dont wanna go to the pile to shag wood.

when the weather is decent on the weekend ill take my lawn tractor and lawn trailer and load it up and drive it right to my cellar door. then just arm load it just inside to door. ill load at least a weeks worth so i dont have to do it till the weekend. the good thing about this is over the week youd be surpised how much the wood dries out being maybe 15-20ft from the stove.

i also have an insert upstaris that i really dont use anymore except for ambaince lol. it works great but the woodstove just does a beter job. but for the insert i have a small wood holder its maybe 12X12X18. its more decrative than anythign really. i also keep a large rubbermade tote that will hold days worth of wood for the insert. im not sone yet :) i usually keep a weeks worth in the breezeway right outside the side door of my house. its covered too so it satys dry and free of snow.

i do store more than most do in the house but thats my method and it works well for me. i also have no backup heat. my oil burner is disconnected (on purpose) :clap: so if you want heat here you gotta burn wood.

Half a cord on the back slab by basement door. I have a two wheeler with a trash can bungeed to it! It works like a charm!:givebeer:

I use an 18 gallon rubbermaid rectangular tub to bring it in the house.I use easy slip on boots so they come off easy when I get in the door.I use the 18 gallon tub to fill a 50 gallon rubbermaid tub in the house.Keeps it pretty clean for me.But I also like the wheeled garbage can idea too.

Here's a photo of my wood storage system (I didn't have it before for my previous post).

3164626047_54a3261ae3.jpg

The blue tub is what I use to take wood into the house from the stack on the front porch. It's about two fills worth. I have a 10 ft. long rack on the porch that I can get a good weeks worth on. The boys and I take wood from the wood shed to the porch once a week with a wheelbarrow.

Don

I made my wood box beside my insert so that it opens on the back side in the garage. I will see if I can get some pictures. Its great really neat and clean. I also pass my my ashes through there and don't have to walk through the house.

Kinda like this : )
IMG_5884.jpg

Caz, you damn fool. +1 . What an idea :clap: :clap: ....you win nothing. :popcorn:

Now, because of you, I've got to fabricate ( yes, "make" ) one like that on my carrier. This one will however have some kind of lip on the sides to hold the wood junk from splilling. Thanks: today was going to be a day of rest :cry: .

The "cart" that we use now is a Garden Way wheelbarrow cart with two bike wheels and 3 sides. The heavy moving carrier looks better. I'll try it.:givebeer:

Latest posts

Back