Pictures Wanted! Near the stove wood storage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3157705472_cd05e7b5bf.jpg

Pretty sure we have the same wood holder as bore_pig. We like it cause it's elevated and you can store wood burning stuff below it like paper and kindling. Ours sits on a plastic carpet runner to make cleaning up easier. That's a 4 day load with our QF4300 which is about 6' away.

Caz, you damn fool. +1 . What an idea :clap: :clap: ....you win nothing. :popcorn:

Now, because of you, I've got to fabricate ( yes, "make" ) one like that on my carrier. This one will however have some kind of lip on the sides to hold the wood junk from splilling. Thanks: today was going to be a day of rest :cry: .

The "cart" that we use now is a Garden Way wheelbarrow cart with two bike wheels and 3 sides. The heavy moving carrier looks better. I'll try it.:givebeer:

We're waitin on some pics of your finished project Logbutcher : )

I just use one of those big rubbermaid plastic totes. they work good and dont cost too much.

Do get "rubbermaid" and not the cheaper stuff, because that stuff will crack when you are throwing wood in it out in the cold.

I burn wood 24/7 wood furnace in my basement. I have a wood chute door about 3'X2' I started the season stacking the wood neatly against the basement wall, but soon gave that up, now I throw wood in until it is in a pile about 4 feet high and burn as needed. A four foot pile last me about 2 weeks. Considering it was -20f this morning the wood goes quick, why stack it.

small house/cabin. Front door is five steps from the stove. I just pile up a few days worth from the woodshed onto the front porch.

attachment.php

Usually I do two wood boxes like this when it gets cold. These boxes are made all from 3/4" plywood. They have high backs to keep the wood off of the trim, and the 6" high sides are great for keeping most of the junk off the floor. Even when we sweep up, we often just dump it in the wood box. The second wood box is just a bit smaller, just enough to fit inside this one to make them store easier out in the shop.

I use one of these:

image_1088.jpg

I load the wood on the cart. With the big wheels it is easy to go up a few steps. It will hold +/- 1 days worth of wood for me. I just park it next to the stove.

I use one of those things that you put the 2x4s in. Used to keep kindling in a kitty litter bucket, but the better half got tired of that and got this brass colored bucket. Works well.

Ian

attachment.php

built this today for about $10.00 , used mostly reclaimed pallet wood , should hold 1-2 days worth

IMG_6967.jpg

IMG_7103.jpg

I don't store wood in the house or bldg. for any of my fireplaces. once I did a half cord or so, maybe more in garage... now that was very convenient. I had split so much wood, i had to move it into the garage just to make a path, and i left it there for a season. I enjoyed the ease of access. :) store wood outside and use fabric tote to bring it inside. I don't let it sit on ground to fill it. nary a bug comes in, if ever. I have stored wood in containers and adds a nice touch. easy to open screen and reach over to get a stix or two. but as a rule over the past 30+ years of fireside living... the tote bag and it just gets put on floor or sheet laid down to catch any dust, etc.. currently, though in the MBR I have put a SAM's club box from other day that some groceries came in to use as 'woodbox'... haven't really used it much, just a couple of stix... color don't really match décor. lol but I thot i'd try it out... I said as I thot of tossing it.. hey! a wood box!! ;)

I can see in colder climates a woodbox would be nice, saves trips thru the snow, etc... an orange crate would be nice, imo. I thot about laying in a row of stix in up against a kitchen wall that is bricked, maybe 2-3' high... but alas... I din't get too swell of a reception on that idea. so it goes...

I use the following...

tote
tote.jpg
toteb.jpg

rack

totea.jpg

wood holder, but mine is brass came with newly acquired wood stove...

totec.jpg

SAM's...

P1010009.JPG

optional:

OCoptional.jpg

Here's a photo of my wood storage system (I didn't have it before for my previous post).

3164626047_54a3261ae3.jpg

perfect! I think what ever works for any one situation would be 'the ideal!' I like seeing all these setups!! blue pail, included! ;) I do confess to liking a large indoors stack of wood ready for access... even if a few steps away. the set up on either side of stove is quite nice. ambiance is everything!! and closer to the back bush log cabin feeling I can get to, the better I like it... well, to a point... am ok without the -40F temps. lol.... :laughing:

There. Didn't even get off the couch to take the pic either. And yes stove is going even though it's hot outside (35*!)20160127_233052.jpg

There. Didn't even get off the couch to take the pic either. And yes stove is going even though it's hot outside (35*!)[View attachment 481909

>And yes stove is going even though it's hot outside (35*!)

reminds me of D-ick Proenneke up at Twin Lakes, AK... in his first book, he was coming back to his log cabin one day... from being outside for several hours... it was -40 degrees!!! ice on lake would push close to 3' thick in midst of winter... brrr :cold:

he said that "it was good to get back to the cabin... while it was -40F outside, it was a comforting 45F inside...

as I say.... :cold:

dptl.jpg

heres mine that I built last week...all white oak
box2.jpg
box4.jpg

I used to stack it where the box is, but it beats up the wall, and leaves the mess all over the floor...and the pine floor gets good size gaps between the boards in the winter,(especially being near the stove) and they fill up with **** all the time and have to be vacuumed out...
it holds about 5-6 days worth of wood, and the door is only about 4ft in front of the stove, so I don't have to go far to load the box.

Latest posts

Back