Considering Husqvarna 460 24in

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnHermit

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello from moonlit Colorado, I live near the headwaters of the Arkansas River at 8500'. Currently 1°F and falling. I live Off-the-Grid on a mining claim surrounded by BLM and FS lands. My primary source of heat is a wood stove which uses 3-4 cords of ponderosa per winter which I've purchased delivered as blocks. I use a hand maul to split the blocks, good exercise.

Last year was an epic winter and I almost ran of wood, except a friend who used to be a pro tree trimmer, dropped and blocked some standing dead pinion for me, got me through the winter. Since then I've been in a fuel wood storing mode, like a squirrel saving acorns. Bought my 3-cords and have cut and hauled another three, but I want more.

I have a great little Poulan 2075, 32cc, 16 inch bar. It cuts better than new ever since my friend sharpened the chain. Without resharpening, I did a 22" Dia deadfall into 12-14" long blocks, total of 3 pickup loads.

The other day I had my Poulan and my friend let me try his Stihl 028 super, on the same tree, the Stihl was twice as fast, so I want a bigger saw. I'd get another Poulan but the toolless chain adjuster reviews have been dreadful, don't know what's so hard about loosening two nuts, turning a screw, then tightening the nuts? Once you get above 50cc all the consumer saws drop away and looks like I need to go to a semi-pro saw.

Since their are no Stihl or Husqvarna dealers within 50-miles, I'm planning on buying online. That excludes Stihl and leads me to Husqvarna. In researching the market, the Husqvarna 455 seams a good fit with the 5cc larger 460 better able to handle the 24" bar. All the models above the 460 are too expensive and used is too time consuming.

I'm planning to purchase a 18" bar and chain for the 460, a Forester for smaller tasks, when the 24" is too much.

So how's my logic? Did I miss something?

Thanks if you got this far. :)

Welcome to AS!

One key thing you are missing is that you can't buy Husqvarna's online anymore. You will have to drive to a dealer to get one.

As for the 460, I think the 24" would be a bit much for full time use. I think it would be happier with an 18-20" for full time. I would buy a 24" bar as an occasional thing. If you think you need 24" all the time I would be looking at bigger saws.

Your logic seems okay.
24" will be slow. But if your use to your Poulan than I don't think it's going to be an issue.
If your going to buy it online, you may have to find one on an Ebay store.

Good luck.

One key thing you are missing is that you can't buy Husqvarna's online anymore. You will have to drive to a dealer to get one.
So does this guy not have the saws he's showing?

As for the 460, I think the 24" would be a bit much for full time use. I think it would be happier with an 18-20" for full time. I would buy a 24" bar as an occasional thing. If you think you need 24" all the time I would be looking at bigger saws.
What about the 18" bar and chain I linked to in my OP?

Thanks

Your logic seems okay.
24" will be slow.
Would double cutting with an 18" bar be faster than a single cut with a 24"? My brain says no, but then again I've never used anything bigger than my 16" Poulan, so I have no experience.

Thanks

You are up 8500 ft, 24" would be too much, likely the saw will be down 25% hp to start with so yah it could work but it won't be a good setup.

So does this guy not have the saws he's showing?

What about the 18" bar and chain I linked to in my OP?

Thanks

Well, you can buy from that guy but he only warranties the saw for 15 to 30 days. After that, Husky might not guarantee the saw because it was bought online. He is a real dealer, so not sure how that will work.

All I was suggesting was flipping your usage idea. If you need a 24" saw all the time, you will want a different saw.

Husky, stihl and dolmar have policies preventing dealers from selling online. Stihl seems to enforce such polices with an iron hand, while husky and dolmar are apparently a little less vigilant. If you need to purchase online consider a Makita 6401. You can get one from the site sponsor or on ebay for about the same money as a husky 460. All parts for this saw are readily available online. It is a well built chainsaw that could handle a 24” bar in pine at sea level but I am not sure about 8500 feet up.

Husky, stihl and dolmar have policies preventing dealers from selling online. Stihl seems to enforce such polices with an iron hand, while husky and dolmar are apparently a little less vigilant. If you need to purchase online consider a Makita 6401. You can get one from the site sponsor or on ebay for about the same money as a husky 460. All parts for this saw are readily available online. It is a well built chainsaw that could handle a 24” bar in pine at sea level but I am not sure about 8500 feet up.
Just who is the site sponsor? At the top I see all these blinking ads, but if their is a "site sponsor" it's not apparent.

If I buy online, why do you favor the Makita over the Husky? Are Husky parts not available? I checked further into Wise Sales, the online Husky seller linked above, their is no warranty info on their website.

Thanks for the constructive reply.

Maikta's are Dolmars in a Blue skirt...
I love my 401 but its too small for you.
Next saw I am going to buy will be Dolmar/Makita 6401 or 7900 very nice well built and fair prices!!! But I have 3 dealers around me.:cheers:

Makita owns Dolmar. I don’t know why but Makita allows its saws to be sold online while Dolmar does not. The Makita 6401 is the same chassis as the Dolmar 6400, 7300 and 7900. You can actually convert a 6401 into a 7900 or 7300 by switching the piston and cylinder. I am sure that the Husky 460 is a great saw and husky parts are available online but the 6401 is a real pro saw for similar money. Home despot uses them as rentals. Anything that can survive in a rental fleet must be built like the proverbial brick crap house. Baileys is the site sponsor that sells the 6401 but do might do yourself a favor and check on fleabay as well.

I Googled the 6401 and indeed it is a lot of saw, but MUCH more expensive. $550 w/20" bar + S&H. The Husky 460 w/24" bar is $440 shipped. I can add the Forester 18" B&C for $40 and still be well below the makita price.

Ebay had only one 6401 listing, it was used.

I am not a professional, I typically cut 1-2 times a week for 1-2 hours and then only for a few winter months. Hence I'm not looking for the end all, be all saw, simply a quality saw for my modest needs.

So unless the Husky 460 is a BAD choice, still inclined to go that way.

Thanks, do appreciate all thoughts.

Bit of a reset here, just visited the Stihl website dealer locator. The map shows a dealer 30 miles away and they're in the yellow pages, but they're not in the list on the left?

What Stihl should I consider?

Thanks

Bit of a reset here, just visited the Stihl website dealer locator. The map shows a dealer 30 miles away and they're in the yellow pages, but they're not in the list on the left?

What Stihl should I consider?

Thanks

Hit the next 5 button on the bottom. One is 20 miles away. I tried to paste the link but it defaults to the first 5. Maybe you did this already though.

You might want to look at the MS290, 310, or 390.

Last edited:
Ebay had only one 6401 listing said:
Try “Makita dcs6401” or “Makita dcs-6401” or just “Makita chainsaw” on your ebay search. A purchase from a local dealer you can trust is always the best option but it is rarely the cheapest. Good Luck.

Yesterday I discovered that my town has a Husqvarna dealer, but he's not listed on their website. I asked why? Because to be listed he has to sell riding lawn mowers, in this dry climate few people have large lawns, so tough to sell the critters.

But, he had a couple dozen bright orange Husky chainsaws. He spent about an hour showing me the 460's features. Other than the weight, compared to my Poulan, I was impressed.

A question, the muffler has a spark screen with a screw to remove it. In winter sparks are not an issue. What happens if I remove and run the saw w/o the screen?

Thanks

Yesterday I discovered that my town has a Husqvarna dealer, but he's not listed on their website. I asked why? Because to be listed he has to sell riding lawn mowers, in this dry climate few people have large lawns, so tough to sell the critters.

But, he had a couple dozen bright orange Husky chainsaws. He spent about an hour showing me the 460's features. Other than the weight, compared to my Poulan, I was impressed.

A question, the muffler has a spark screen with a screw to remove it. In winter sparks are not an issue. What happens if I remove and run the saw w/o the screen?

Thanks

If you're cutting on Forest Service, BLM, or state ground they'll bust you big time for not having a spark arrestor screen. On private land it's up to you . I've run my saws with and without and it doesn't seem to make a huge difference.

By the way...if you're off the grid, I assume you're running a generator. What kind of surge suppressor do you use to keep the computer safe?

Last edited:
If you're cutting on Forest Service, BLM, or state ground they'll bust you big time for not having a spark arrestor screen. On private land it's up to you . I've run my saws with and without and it doesn't seem to make a huge difference.
Well if it makes no difference, you've answered my question.

By the way...if you're off the grid, I assume you're running a generator. What kind of surge suppressor do you use to keep the computer safe?
I have a ton, as in 2000 pounds, of lead-acid batteries in the basement, the ultimate surge suppressor!!!

I'm in my eleventh winter, I just went past 170-hours on the Onan. Being 10-miles east of the Continental Divide is huge. Bless Sol, too.

Latest posts

Back