Considering Husqvarna 460 24in

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
follow this link t a AS sponsors site
http://www.baileysonline.com/category.asp?CatID=13
the makita is the best buy because you can get a bigger slug and jug for it.
Thanks for the link, but I've decided I had a bad case of CAD. So I'm going to go for a 455 or MS290 with a 20" bar.

Tomorrow I'll go to the Stihl dealer and check out the Farm Boss. It and the dealer will have to blow me away, because the Husky dealer, 20-miles closer, did blow me away.

Thanks for the link, but I've decided I had a bad case of CAD. So I'm going to go for a 455 or MS290 with a 20" bar.

Tomorrow I'll go to the Stihl dealer and check out the Farm Boss. It and the dealer will have to blow me away, because the Husky dealer, 20-miles closer, did blow me away.

How far are you from Marta and Leadville? I have elk hunted your area a couple times. Mostly around Minturn and Copper Mtn.

How far are you from Marta and Leadville? I have elk hunted your area a couple times. Mostly around Minturn and Copper Mtn.
Never heard of Marta, but Leadville, at 10,000', is 30-mi N, and Salida, at 7000', is 25-mi S, significantly warmer. I'm more-or-less in Buena Vista, in the middle.

I'm going to go for a 455 or MS290 with a 20" bar.

So I went to the local, 25-mi, Stihl dealer and they didn't even carry the MS290 Farm Boss, Stihl's most popular saw, say what? The only saw that would carry a 20" bar started at $490. Then he started talking down Husqvarna, thank you no.

So I went to my local Husqvarna dealer and got a 455 Rancher, 20". He spent at least a half-hour bench tuning the motor, adjusting the high speed, idle and mixture setting for 8000+ feet. Sounded real sweet when he finished.

Sure glad I didn't order it online. I wouldn't of had a clue how to tune the engine.

Tomorrow I'll take it out and block a 40' x 18" D and see how it goes.

Thanks to all for the advice. :)

no fxxxxing way can i honestly recommend that series of husky. i would opt for anything else by them.. used even. i can get a used 357xp at a local shop for 300... about what some of those new ones go for. for me i get frustrated with non pro saws.. like the ones with the bubbles. i used a mid sized one recently 44x or something like that off the self from lowe's. even though its setup to be an easy starter i found it frustrating.

it was a zippy but i thought i'd break it.

since you are in the middle of no where... get a pro saw... which are more durable and breaks down less.

60 cc class saw is a good choice for firewood.

personally I'd go with a new or low hours Stihl MS 460, which are just about bomb proof.

For support Madsens will mail order Stihl parts and give great support over the phone. Madsens will take the time to answer just about any question. even how to adjust, etc. they'll earn your business.

the low $$ choice is Husky 359... husky 460 are fairly new, feedback wise and are available from places like Atwoods. no support... I'd pass on either one.

Last edited:
perhaps this

a stihl ms 361 is a good 60 cc saw and a good choice for firewood
since you are in the middle of no where... get a pro saw... which are more durable and breaks down less.

60 cc class saw is a good choice for firewood.

personally I'd go with a new or low hours Stihl MS 460, which are just about bomb proof.

For support Madsens will mail order Stihl parts and give great support over the phone. Madsens will take the time to answer just about any question. even how to adjust, etc. they'll earn your business.

the low $$ choice is Husky 359... husky 460 are fairly new, feedback wise and are available from places like Atwoods. no support... I'd pass on either one.

So I went to the local, 25-mi, Stihl dealer and they didn't even carry the MS290 Farm Boss, Stihl's most popular saw, say what? The only saw that would carry a 20" bar started at $490. Then he started talking down Husqvarna, thank you no.

So I went to my local Husqvarna dealer and got a 455 Rancher, 20". He spent at least a half-hour bench tuning the motor, adjusting the high speed, idle and mixture setting for 8000+ feet. Sounded real sweet when he finished.

Sure glad I didn't order it online. I wouldn't of had a clue how to tune the engine.

Congrats on a new saw. I was in your neck of the woods last summer. Helped out the crew at the Twin Lakes pumping plant for a week. Beautiful country.

opss... didn't catch you found two local dealers. can't beat local support.
hmmm 30 miles from Leadville... that's getting into some high country.

no clue about husky 455... but if local dealer set it up for altitudes you are operating at and support it.... 55cc is plenty big for most firewood duties.

455 would not be my pick, but if you are happy with saw and dealer. I'd say you made an excellent choice.

Last edited:
Im glad you got the 455,you will love it. I dont know why everyone is telling you to get a "pro" saw for cutting 4-5 cord s yr, the 455 is a great saw,mines been more reliable than my buddies "pro" Stihls,and it cuts great for what it is.

Im glad you got the 455,you will love it. I dont know why everyone is telling you to get a "pro" saw for cutting 4-5 cord s yr, the 455 is a great saw,mines been more reliable than my buddies "pro" Stihls,and it cuts great for what it is.
So far that's been exactly my experience. For the occasional user, ease of starting has to be number one, and the 455 starts quickly cold, hot or in between.

Some photos taken last week:

10_32Close.jpg

10_32Wide.jpg

11_17Gas.jpg

11_35Done.jpg

11_59Loaded.jpg

Thanks for the reply.

did the dealer point out safety gear?

chaps may be a pita to use, but are the best piece of safety gear to own/use. especially if you are working by yourself in the middle of nowhere.

please also consider a peltor helmet/muff combo.
it'd be worthwhile to read up on where chainsaw accidents occur on the human body.

kickback... if you have not experienced it, can be life changing.

did the dealer point out safety gear?

chaps may be a pita to use, but are the best piece of safety gear to own/use. especially if you are working by yourself in the middle of nowhere.

please also consider a peltor helmet/muff combo.
it'd be worthwhile to read up on where chainsaw accidents occur on the human body.

kickback... if you have not experienced it, can be life changing.

Good points, but I might add that if you're not felling trees the hard hat is not absolutely essential. Safety glasses and ear plugs do fine. :)

I just dont know...

Good points, but I might add that if you're not felling trees the hard hat is not absolutely essential. Safety glasses and ear plugs do fine. :)

Hi Plant...Brain bucket might be a good idea too...Heard of some kickbacks to the head also while trees on the ground..Been there myself my friend...The 028 damn near got me if it wasnt for the chainbrake...About broke my left wrist it kicked so hard,,and today,,I still dont know how that happened...

Hi Plant...Brain bucket might be a good idea too...Heard of some kickbacks to the head also while trees on the ground..Been there myself my friend...The 028 damn near got me if it wasnt for the chainbrake...About broke my left wrist it kicked so hard,,and today,,I still dont know how that happened...

I just hate wearing a damn helmet. I have seen pictures and heard stories, but still don't like to. I never cut at head level and always stand to the side of the cut. I know it isn't a sure bet, but it is a false security that works for me. Maybe if I got something that wasn't so big and awkward as the combo helmets it would be better. The face shield isn't going to do much against a kick back to the face anyways. If I didn't stop it by the time it gets to my head, the plastic screen isn't either.

Oh,,I understand...

I just hate wearing a damn helmet. I have seen pictures and heard stories, but still don't like to. I never cut at head level and always stand to the side of the cut. I know it isn't a sure bet, but it is a false security that works for me. Maybe if I got something that wasn't so big and awkward as the combo helmets it would be better. The face shield isn't going to do much against a kick back to the face anyways. If I didn't stop it by the time it gets to my head, the plastic screen isn't either.

Have had some that flamed me for not wearing ear protection...LOL!!I hate anything on my ears and in them,,but I started wearin ear plugs when I mill now,,I still hate it,,but prob end up deaf workin in this factory I work at now,,or shootin guns,,or some woman screaming at me...LOL!!
Please dont take it like I was sayin anything bad to ya,,but just want us all to still be around and enjoy each other...Oh,,I dont wear a screen,just a brain bucket...Like you too I stand to the side now,,and rather get a hit to the shoulder,,hope that never happens,,but ya never know...
Tc my friend,,and hope ya know I didnt mean anything personal to you,,just lucky that one time I didnt get my head split in half...

Have had some that flamed me for not wearing ear protection...LOL!!I hate anything on my ears and in them,,but I started wearin ear plugs when I mill now,,I still hate it,,but prob end up deaf workin in this factory I work at now,,or shootin guns,,or some woman screaming at me...LOL!!
Please dont take it like I was sayin anything bad to ya,,but just want us all to still be around and enjoy each other...Oh,,I dont wear a screen,just a brain bucket...Like you too I stand to the side now,,and rather get a hit to the shoulder,,hope that never happens,,but ya never know...
Tc my friend,,and hope ya know I didnt mean anything personal to you,,just lucky that one time I didnt get my head split in half...

I knew it was nothing personal, sorry if it sounded like I took it that way. I just REALLY don't like wearing a helmet. I can't wear muffs either, they are not comfortable and in hot weather they are miserable. I prefer the plugs for that reason, and I always have safety glasses.

I need to calm down, too much coffee and stress I guess. No hard feelings here. :cheers:

NP here...LOL!!

Oh,,I know about too much coffee and stress...Thanks to you and alot of other people on here is why I bought my jred 2186...She is one hell of a millin machine!!!! Thing about this site,,and you prob. would agree,,alot of diffrent people and thoughts,,but we all have a good time...Thanks Bro...

Oh,,I know about too much coffee and stress...Thanks to you and alot of other people on here is why I bought my jred 2186...She is one hell of a millin machine!!!! Thing about this site,,and you prob. would agree,,alot of diffrent people and thoughts,,but we all have a good time...Thanks Bro...

:cheers: I want a 2186, but can't justify it right now. Thought about a mill for a while but decided to wait a bit.

Latest posts

Back