Used 034 Stihl Report

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAH

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I asked opinions of the Stihl 361. I thought size-wise it would do what I needed done. Well along comes a used 034 which sounded too good to pass up. I traveled a few miles to try the saw. The guy was clearing so he put a wild cherry on the ground, marked the cuts, about 20 total and gave me the saw to try.

After warming the old Stihl for a minute or two I made the cuts. The little saw performed like a champ using a 20" bar and 10 degree cutters. I bought the saw with the agreement he would add a new bar and 30 degree chain.

I've used the saw a bit over the past couple weeks but until today hadn't operated it for an extended period of time. Nothing special about this saw or the operator. I just kept the chain sharp and the air filter clean..........Creeker

Picture027.jpg

Picture029.jpg

Very nice. Ive got an 034 that I put together from a box.I did a little cutting but havent gave it a good workout yet. Yours looks alot nicer than mine.:cheers:

034's are great saws but they don't quite get the credit they really deserve IMHO. If you want you can also convert your 034 into an 036 without too much problem.

Looks like a nice 034 to me, are those dark spots on the blocks showing made by metal embedded in the wood, if you missed then thats good for your chain!
Pioneerguy600

I cut these trees clearing a couple acres for condos. We knew there would be nails here & there. I cut through one bucking a log, sharpened for 20 minutes & the next cut I hit another. After that it was smooth sailing. I hit none bucking the rounds in the picture. The color is trace the metal leaves from being embedded.

New looking saw, nice trailer, good load of wood...Where you at in WV?...Carl

I'm in Beckley. I lived in Missoula back in the 70's.

Yours looks alot nicer than mine.

Thanks. Only time will tell if it was worth the 285.00.

had an 034 super ... one of the best saws ever for firewood!
but lacked guts in larger hardwoods. note comment is in no way negative to 034 super, but a general statement for 59cc class saws.

looks like your 034 is super clean with another bar/chain coming to boot. personally would not go over a 20in bar on 034, unless you are cutting only softwood.

I'm in Beckley. I lived in Missoula back in the 70's.

Ah yes, Missoula, I was there in the early 70's as well attending the U of Montana. My roommate was a fairly famous geologist, now, named Jack Horner. Those were good times.

I now live in Virginia but do my tree cutting at our place at Barnum, WV quite a few miles north of you - on the North Branch of the Potomac. Would love to see the 034 cut.

Cheers....Carl

Latest posts

Back