Chain grinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfking42084

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Juat wondering what you guys would get for a chain grinder. Have looked at the Oregon professional and have researched the stihl grinder. Anyone have anything else they love?

Northern Tool sells a knockoff of the Oregon 511a. Bought mine for about $100, saves a couple hundred off the 511a. The knockoff is made in China but accepts the Oregon grinding wheels. There's a thread here somewhere about how to take some of the play out to make it sharpen better, but I've had little problem with mine.

I've got a Speed Sharp which is an Italian (Ferrari of sharpeners ;))511A. I got mine off evil-bay with 3 wheels for about $145. It was used but not much. I like it.:cheers:

i have a Stihl HOS.

nice grinder but pricey.i would buy the Maxx from Bailey's if i had to do it again.

I have the Oregon 511A. It appears that the same grinder is sold under a number of brands names - all made in Italy, sell in the $260 - $320 range. The China knock offs look almost identical, although I have concerns about the quality of the motors - a major component. Bailey's (site sponsor) also sells a Chinese knock off, but recommends replacing the grinding wheels.

There is a newer version of the Oregon series grinder available (511AX) that has a nicer chain vice. Better quality materials, self-centering, and does up to 3/4 inch chain without a special attachment. I like the vice on the Tecomac version even better:
http://www2.tecomec.it/database/tec...7D1A6F442C0B7606C12571EA004D8D84?OpenDocument

But, of course, it costs more ($360 - 380). It is what I would choose now.

Depends on what you need, how often you will use it, and what you want.

Philbert

I have a 511A and like it just fine. I started out with the plastic Northern Tool job and wanted something better. I bit the bullet and got the 511A, it will last me the rest of my life and it does a great job. I don't think I would be one with an automatic chain vise unless I was in a saw shop and ground lots of chains everyday. You will find you automatically clamp the vise yourself when you get in the swing of things.

You did not mention price range. I broke down last month and got a Maxx from Bailey's. Very well made and easy to use, and accurate. However, it was four bills. Don't know about used ones.

If you like or are willing to tinker, rebuild or fix-up one of the knock-offs, plenty of people do it. Also depends on how well you want the thing to actually sharpen the chains correctly. The cheaper ones I've seen and seen used by friends do not do near as good a job as hand filing except for grinding off a bunch of the cutter due to a rock or nail strike.

A buddy of mine who cuts only a little firewood [less than a cord a yr.] just uses one of those little stones made for the dremel or something of that size in his junker hand drill. Doesn't do "my" kind of job but it works for him and he has invested zero dollars. Pretty crude but he's happy.

Last edited:
My 511A has done me fine for the past six or seven years. I'd recommend it or its updated version (or its siblings branded as Tecomec or Speedsharp), as well as the MAXX.

The China knock-off of the 511 is also nice, especially once you clean it up a bit per the posts on this site. Obviously you're supporting China when you buy this one over the Italian versinon, which may be reason enough not to buy it. But if you're OK buying China stuff, a homeowner or small operation could do a lot of sharpening on that machine for very few bucks.

While we're on this topic, is anyone on this site, sponsor or not, a Tecomec dealer? If so, what is the going rate for the adapter that mounts on the Tecomec 136/Oregon 511 that allows you to sharpen reciprocating hedge trimer blades?

I started with a Harbor Freight plastic miracle. I understand you can get them for 30 or 40 bucks. Last year I graduated to a Northern Oregon spinoff. Got it for 90 bucks. Point is, they all work. It's getting to know each machine's peculiarities that will give a good final result. I like the Northern much better than the HF unit. It is made of metal and has more capabilities. Wouldn't trade it for all the files in china.

I am probably going to get the 511. I love hand sharpened chains, but first i'm not the best at it and second, I don't always have the time.

wow, the foley is really sweet. I know a guy who has a foley grinder for sharpening chipper blades. It is very nice looking, does a fantastic job, but was expensive as crap. the chain sharpener looks great though

wow, the foley is really sweet. I know a guy who has a foley grinder for sharpening chipper blades. It is very nice looking, does a fantastic job, but was expensive as crap. the chain sharpener looks great though

I do not like their sharpeners for chipper blades, no coolant. The rest of their units...

I know an old saw shop that has three of them from when the Swede use to do his own sharpening...I've been trying to talk him out of those units for years. Found out a few weeks ago that he's ready to retire :)

Perhaps I'll finially get em.

I have the Oregon 511A. It appears that the same grinder is sold under a number of brands names - all made in Italy, sell in the $260 - $320 range. The China knock offs look almost identical, although I have concerns about the quality of the motors - a major component. Bailey's (site sponsor) also sells a Chinese knock off, but recommends replacing the grinding wheels.

There is a newer version of the Oregon series grinder available (511AX) that has a nicer chain vice. Better quality materials, self-centering, and does up to 3/4 inch chain without a special attachment. I like the vice on the Tecomac version even better:
http://www2.tecomec.it/database/tec...7D1A6F442C0B7606C12571EA004D8D84?OpenDocument

But, of course, it costs more ($360 - 380). It is what I would choose now.

Depends on what you need, how often you will use it, and what you want.

Philbert

I have that Jolly Star ginder and its a good one for sure. That self centering chain vise is the nuts!

Worth every penny. I can't believe all the saw nuts on here touting pro saw this and that and then turn around and scrimp on that Chinese grinder that they have to rebuild to get to work decent.

I mean the chain is one of the most important things on the saw and it should be right.

How's the MAXX compare to the 511 in terms of consistency of cutter length and switching from one side to the other. It looks like a nice set-up but is it worth the extra money over the Oregon 511? I've been eyeing the ones Baileys has.

Latest posts

Back