Quality 35cc-class saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantC

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
In the 35cc class (plus/minus a few cc), who (besides Shindaiwa) makes saws like the bigger pro versions - i.e., vertically-split magnesium cases, etc.?

(I suspect Stihl and Husky do, though I hear their smaller saws aren't always as good as their big ones...but what about the other makers, like Dolmar, Efco, etc?)

I'd like especially to know how my NE339XP fits that description!

-=[ Grant ]=-

In the 35cc class (plus/minus a few cc), who (besides Shindaiwa) makes saws like the bigger pro versions - i.e., vertically-split magnesium cases, etc.?

(I suspect Stihl and Husky do, though I hear their smaller saws aren't always as good as their big ones...but what about the other makers, like Dolmar, Efco, etc?)

I'd like especially to know how my NE339XP fits that description!

-=[ Grant ]=-

Not sure what a "few cc's" plus/minus means exactly, but here's a good thread that Brad Snelling did recently comparing 3 saws in that general cc range. There's some good pics in there that compare some of these with other saws as well.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=82741

MS200 rear handle, if you got the $$$, you won't find a better small saw. Although not a pro saw and a little more weight, the 211 would be a fine choice.

I actually would like to see a head to head on the Dolmar PS350 vs the Ms200 stihl that could be fun!:)

MS200 rear handle, if you got the $$$, you won't find a better small saw. Although not a pro saw and a little more weight, the 211 would be a fine choice.

Why is that MS 200 so pricey???? Dang thing cost as much as a 361 almost!

OK, folks, I spent the afternoon doing a whole lot of limbing and small bucking (storm blowdown) with my Husky NE339XP and my Echo CS-346. I've never really used them side-by-side before, so this was a good chance to compare them.

Long story short: the Husky has got to go! :chainsaw:

Don't get me wrong, I like the way the 339 cuts: it's FAST, and very smooth. Trouble is that it doesn't handle all that well.

Compared to the 346, it's heavier - but that's not the real problem. The 339 is very front-heavy; the left handle is placed further back, which means even with the short 13" bar, it still sticks out further than the Echo. The rear handle on the Husky, as many have observed, sits lower and further back, making it a longer reach when going from one position to another.

The result is that it's easy to throw the Echo around and through brush and limbs; the Husky is twice as much work to do the same thing. My back tells me all I need to know!

Part of the problem is that I'm shorter than average height, and with short arms. I suspect the Husky is designed as a small saw for bigger people, as my 6'-2" buddy thinks it handles like a dream. It probably does, because he has arms like an orangutan!

On the other side, the Echo isn't built as well; I doubt it will last as long, which is the reason I'm looking for a "better" saw. It doesn't make as much power (which, of course, they're known for) as the Husky, and doesn't run at the same high RPM.

You know something, though? It's enough for this kind of use. I'm not unhappy with the performance, though it would be nice if it were better. I'm not willing to sacrifice the handling qualities to get that, however. Since this is a class of saw I spend a LOT of time running, I want it to be "just right."

Here's what I need:

- 30 to 35cc (I'll be running a 12" bar)
- no more than 8.5 lbs
- "pro" level construction (mag case w/vertical split, adjustable carb, etc.)
- quality fit and finish (I'm a fan of Shindaiwa, but in this class they're too heavy.)
- under $400 (sorry, MS200 lovers, but $600 for a saw this size is obscene.)

I don't care about brand names. If it does the job, I don't care what it says on the label.

(I've thought about trying to find another NIB CS-346, and putting it in storage for the day this one dies. That's always an option, and some might think it better than buying a saw with a longer lifespan. I'd like comments on this option as well!)

-=[ Grant ]=-

Weight will be the factor! there are some dolmar 341/401's still available! 3800 redmax and that will be about it!

There are quite a few rather recent threads on this same topic. Here's the research I have done on it. LINK

Thanks, but the discussion is for bigger saws than I'm looking for.

However, I am watching it because I want to see what you can do with a Shindaiwa 377!

-=[ Grant ]=-

I bought a Stihl MS210 with an .050 chain and 16" bar. After several tanks of gas, this is a GREAT triming and light firewood saw. I mostly use it clearing brush.

I also bought an Echo CS-306. It has a .043 chain and a 14" bar and is a good saw too, but not in the same league as the MS210, but I like it as it is sort of different. Horizontal piston, reed valve and VERY lightweight.

I looked at the MS180, MS170, MS200, MS192, but settled on the MS210 between price and displacement. I liked that the MS210 was just a bit heavier than the MS180 and much less $$'s than the MS192 and MS200 (same displacement as the MS200 too). I also liked the two bolts holding the side plate and the side access tensioner.

The Echo is a fun saw, but I think if you can find a left over MS210, which is a 35cc saw, you will like it.

Good luck,
Bill

Who was it that said he didn't care if the PS-401 weighed 5lbs, the PS-420 was enough better to make up for the weight difference?

Aren't too many 8lb rear handles with vertically split crankcases, and most of them are climbing saws with rear handles tacked on.

Last I knew, my Dolmar dealer had a few PS-341s for $180, but I think those are in the 8.5-9lb range.

Thanks, but the discussion is for bigger saws than I'm looking for.

However, I am watching it because I want to see what you can do with a Shindaiwa 377!

-=[ Grant ]=-

The Shiny 377 is no smaller than the rest of these. Most of these are about 9.25 lbs. Not sure what you're going to find for a pro built 8.5 lbs saw.

MS180 = 32cc
G3800AVS = 37cc
PS-401 = 39cc
Shiny 377 = 39cc

I have not yet run or modded the 377, but of the others the 3800 is my pick. Considerably stronger than a stock MS200.

Last edited:
I've been going through every maker's website I can think of, and it seems my choices (relative to my criteria) are the Dolmar PS-341, the Dolmar PS-341, and perhaps the Dolmar PS-341. :hmm3grin2orange:

(If I were willing to pay the money, the MS200 would be in the running too, but I can't believe the price on the things. I'm sure they're good, but are they nearly three times as good as a Dolmar? Comments?)

I'm actually surprised at the lack of quality saws under 9lbs. I thought, with all the professional use (tree trimming, etc.) that it would be a class that was well covered. Guess everyone in that business buys Echo, huh?

-=[ Grant ]=-

Latest posts

Back