Broke a raker, is it junk?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuzzy

Trail Gnome
Reaction score
Oddly enough, this is the first time I've come across a broken raker... Was out clearing a fence row the other day and managed to find an old hidden angle iron fence post in the middle of some brush. Did I mention I had just finished sharpening the chain :censored::censored::censored:

Anyways, went out last night to fix up the gnarled teeth and found one of the rakers had broken clean off :angry:

IMG00293-20090306-1805Medium.jpg

It's a 20" loop of RSC and this was the only raker to break. Should I just consider the chain junked (in which case I'll save it to make an 18" loop down the road), or is it still usable? I realize I can just try cutting with it to see how bad it vibrates and behaves, but I figure I'd ask to see if there is a common way to deal with this...

I broke a whole cutter off not long ago and didnt even know it. The rest of the chain is still good. I hate to get rid of it so ill keep running it.:)

Oddly enough, this is the first time I've come across a broken raker... It's a 20" loop of RSC

Your STIHL dealer can sell you a link or two off of a roll. Have them spin it in, or do it yourself if you have the tools. Then grind the new cutter down so that it is the same as the others.

Philbert

you will notice it in the cut. file the tooth back & file the edge off of it.

For filing the edge off, are you thinking like just using the flat file to put a blunt edge? Would that be better than just filing the whole tooth off...?

I agree with those that say just grind that tooth off (a quick touch to the bench grinder) and just run it. Not worth the trouble of splicing and screwing around to get new tooth length and depth gauge the same.

You'll never notice in the wood, as full skip always has big gaps.

Inspect the chain for other damage.

Last edited:
Just buy a short length of chain and replace the broken cutter. Or cut it down to 18" for your other saw.

Your STIHL dealer can sell you a link or two off of a roll. Have them spin it in, or do it yourself if you have the tools. Then grind the new cutter down so that it is the same as the others.

Philbert

I suppose you guys are right... That prolly is the best actual fix. Maybe if I buy other stuff they'll do it free :D

For filing the edge off, are you thinking like just using the flat file to put a blunt edge? Would that be better than just filing the whole tooth off...?

Take the whole thing off or that odd tooth could cause some chatter as it tries to did in sharp or not.

I was using an angle grinder to remove the safety junk from a safety chain and by accident ground off one of the rakers. Tried to use the chain with a missing raker, but that cutter grabbed too deeply each time its turn to cut came up making the saw vibrate badly. Took the angle grinder and ground off that cutter. Chain works fine now.

Goodbye little cutter. You had a good life.

I just went out and ground the lil guy off. Figure I'll get the rest of the buggered teeth cleaned up, filed to size, and sharpened and run the piss outta it :chainsaw:

If it bugs me, then I'll work on splicing a new link. :cool:

DSC07194Medium.jpg

Last edited:

Philbert

The shop I go to will absolutely not do that. I asked them why...Tilton told them long ago that if a "spliced" chain ever caused a problem for someone, they would help the customer sue the shop.

The missing tooth you ground off wont heart a thing. I have an 18!QUOT! one with 3 teeth missing,cuts fine. Was using to cut old barn wood, saving it fore that so I don't ruin Any more.

I haven't run into that problem but I doubt you will even notice it is gone.

Harry K

If it makes a problem (snagging etc), just remove the cutter as well - you will not notice much difference from a "perfect" chain, if any at all....

Last edited:
The shop I go to will absolutely not do that. I asked them why...Tilton told them long ago that if a "spliced" chain ever caused a problem for someone, they would help the customer sue the shop.

Will they sell you tie straps and pre-sets? If not you would always have to reuse the old ones when you shorten a chain. The old pre-sets are sometimes damaged when they are punched out.

Back