Broke a raker, is it junk?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I broke a raker off a chain once...

... dunno what chain it is now...

Never noticed it cutting any different

Funny thing with this thread, yesterday I broke a few teeth on my 28" skip chain when cutting the big oaks I posted in Firewood. My buddy told me the chain was junk and unsafe to run (chain is pretty much shot). Couldn't I grind off the remaining rakers and run it some more? I am thinking it' be a good chain for those cuts when I know I am gonna ground the chain to get through a log, so I can save wear on the good chains.

The shop I go to will absolutely not do that. I asked them why...Tilton told them long ago that if a "spliced" chain ever caused a problem for someone, they would help the customer sue the shop.
I understand that . Of course, when you are in the business of selling chain saws to anyone that walks in the door with money, there is going to be some liability exposure. Some shops will not sell used saws because of liability. Apparently, some will not sell saws without low kickback chain. Imagine if automobile dealers worked like that.

2dogs said:
Will they sell you tie straps and pre-sets? If not you would always have to reuse the old ones when you shorten a chain. The old pre-sets are sometimes damaged when they are punched out.

What he said. I don't know what tools or skills you have for spinning chain. Bailey's will sell you pre-sets for some chains. Since you mentioned STIHL, I thought of my dealer who will do this. They might decline if the chain is pretty worn or messed up.

Philbert

Funny thing with this thread, yesterday I broke a few teeth on my 28" skip chain when cutting the big oaks I posted in Firewood. My buddy told me the chain was junk and unsafe to run (chain is pretty much shot). Couldn't I grind off the remaining rakers and run it some more? I am thinking it' be a good chain for those cuts when I know I am gonna ground the chain to get through a log, so I can save wear on the good chains.

I would run it for that - just stay out of the "kickback zone".....

The shop I go to will absolutely not do that. I asked them why...Tilton told them long ago that if a "spliced" chain ever caused a problem for someone, they would help the customer sue the shop.

This got me thinking......Don't all chain loops have at least 1 splice?

I recommend that you file the whole cutter off. If you have a grinding wheel, it will only take a second.

JQ

Yep, that's what I ended up doing. :clap:

Goodbye little cutter. You had a good life.

I just went out and ground the lil guy off. Figure I'll get the rest of the buggered teeth cleaned up, filed to size, and sharpened and run the piss outta it :chainsaw:

If it bugs me, then I'll work on splicing a new link. :cool:

DSC07194Medium.jpg

Nuzzy,

Now ya went and did it. That chain WAS "Pre-disastered" and exempt from any more bad Juju.

Do you have any idea of the odds of Nuzzifying a raker and not a cutter?

Lotto Ticket.. NOW!:hmm3grin2orange:

Stay safe!!
Dingeryote

I gotta agree with dinger on that! :laugh:
I've funged up plenty of rakers and teeth, I've never noticed any difference after straightening up what was left. Just think of it as one of them "tough guy" chains with a battle scar. :laugh::D

And now... kids...this is how a...

And now... kids...this is how a home made skip chain is made. Kill one cutter at a time!:spam::greenchainsaw:

I saw a chain that looked like it should be junked. The guy who's chain it was said that it still cuts anything he puts it to. Kinda like grandpa eating stake with his 5 remaining teeth!

:monkey:

Dan

This got me thinking......Don't all chain loops have at least 1 splice?

Except for the ones made on the perpetual motion assembly lines.

Context boys...context.

Their point was that Tilton would not back them legally if a new link was spliced into an old chain in order for the chain to be made whole again.

Do I think this is a good policy? I don't know.

Do I care? No. I'm just the reporter here.

Last edited:
Back