Quick 021 max rpm question...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuzzy

Trail Gnome
Reaction score
I've been trying to search but all my search phrases don't seem to have enough letters :dizzy:

Does anyone know off the top of their heads what max(ish) rpm I should shoot for with muff modded 021.

:popcorn:

Per Stihl specs, 2800 Idle and 11500 Max for a stock unit. Modded??? Sorry.

11,500 stock eh? Hmmm... I just tached it at about 12,200-12,300.

Now why did those designer fawkers only include the L and LA adjustments easily accessible :censored: :laugh:

Stooooopid homeowner saw...

You need to get a WT 215. It has both H and L screws. For an older 021 I think.:cheers:

Are you telling me my chitbox stock 021 carb really has no H screw...? BWAHAHAHHAHHAHHHAHHA!!!

I just figured it was buried under the skins so that people like me couldn't normally mess with it!

How do I know for sure what carb my 021 currently has? (Guess I better break out the tools) :D

Break out the tools dude. My 021 is about 10yrs old? and no H screw.Or in other terms Your Screwed! Hehe. Im sorry I had to do that.:cheers:

Well...

Stock spec 11,500

Lakeside has brought up stock spec is +/-1000

I tached at 12,300

Maybe I should just run it like I stole it :chainsawguy::chainsawguy::chainsawguy:

hehehehe :D

I'm so gonna blow this saw apart like a Dana 35 in a jeep :laugh::laugh:

Well...

Stock spec 11,500

Lakeside has brought up stock spec is +/-1000

I tached at 12,300

Maybe I should just run it like I stole it :chainsawguy::chainsawguy::chainsawguy:

hehehehe :D

I'm so gonna blow this saw apart like a Dana 35 in a jeep :laugh::laugh:

Just run it and keep an eye on the plug color, running quality, and if ya want pull the muffler every so often and have a look. Or get crazy and find a carb solution.

Nuzzy... If you have the opportunity, show us some pics of that little modded 021. I've got an 021 and it's stock. Runs great for what I use it for, but curious what you did to mod yours and if you feel it runs stronger or same...

Just run it and keep an eye on the plug color, running quality, and if ya want pull the muffler every so often and have a look. Or get crazy and find a carb solution.

I would like to see you run it like Bowtie said and keep an eye on it. Give us an update now and then. And if you blow it up give us a bunch of pics.:cheers:

That I can do :chainsaw: I love pics of destruction :D:D

Nuzzy... If you have the opportunity, show us some pics of that little modded 021. I've got an 021 and it's stock. Runs great for what I use it for, but curious what you did to mod yours and if you feel it runs stronger or same...

Believe me, it was a hack job involving the only cutting tool I had at the time... a 4.5" angle grinder :laugh:

It sure runs a lot faster than it use to though :rock:

I'll try to snap a few pics and maybe a run vid :D

Well, ill advised or not, here's all I did. Pulled the muffler and after studying how to open this up with the tools I had, just decided to leave it out. Sure it adds some structural rigidity to the muffler, but meh...

DSC07257Medium.jpg

DSC07260Medium.jpg

Then I attempted to keep this hole less than the size of the exhaust port out of the cylinder. Really the angle grinder dictated the size of the hole :taped:

DSC07262Medium.jpg

There's another piece to the muffler that holds the spark arrester mesh in that i haven't decided if I'll run or not. I suppose I prolly "should", but that piece looks beyond ugly now HAHAHHAHAHA It's contours didn't take well to my handling a grinder while drinking a Red Dog at 2am...

In any case, here's at idle

DSC07271Medium.jpg

3rd attempt at WOT out of wood (first was 11,800 and second 12,100...)

DSC07273Medium.jpg

And the plug so far after killing the ignition in the cut

DSC07277Medium.jpg

DSC07278Medium.jpg

I did take a vid but it was 3 cuts on a 16" cherry round and apparently Photobucket says the file is too big :D I may try editing it down...

Could do youtube, but @ 148 megs, it'd take forever to upload over satellite. :(

Oh, and just FWIW, this is a tired old 021 with 138lbs of compression. It was my first saw before I knew anything about caring for a saw, so it's seen 2 year old mix, drunken tree cutting for camping bon fires, more pinches resulting in having to torque on the handle to release than I can count, etc. etc. I really can't believe it's made it thus far :monkey:

I know its not a pro saw but that sounds like mine and the hard use its gotten over the years. Mine still runs good. I had to replace fuel and impulse lines.otherwise running good. I like that 023L Andre sold me. Same power with less noise.:clap:

Well, it ain't much for impressing, but here's the vid. I wish I had one from before to show a change, but I would have bogging and struggling even without leaning on it.

The wood is Cherry

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i159.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/yzzun/021muffmod.flv">

I'm curious if I might be chasing some other problems as well like aged fuel line leaks...

Nice vid. I would say it looks faster than my 021. I think if you flipped the bar over it would go a little bit faster yet.

Haha just kidding. :cheers:

Back