What a peice of crap!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AOD

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Funny, I've never really had an issue with mine in the 4+ years I've had it. Its cut its fair share, including thick/tall ditches a few times a year. Even with that said, I'm still getting a new FS130 soon to replace it. The troy built is pretty heavy though.

Funny, I've never really had an issue with mine in the 4+ years I've had it. Its cut its fair share, including thick/tall ditches a few times a year. Even with that said, I'm still getting a new FS130 soon to replace it. The troy built is pretty heavy though.

It kind of surprised me to, my brother in law has one and loves it! Also troy built has a good rep, especially for their tillers #1.

It kind of surprised me to, my brother in law has one and loves it! Also troy built has a good rep, especially for their tillers #1.

Nothing that bears the Tyoy-Bilt name is anything like the quality of their older equipment. MTD should be banished to the fiery crucible of Hades, deep within the power equipment underworld for putting the Troy-Bilt and Bolens names on such absolute crap equipment. The Troy-Bilt tillers and chippers from the 80's and older are very solid and well made machines, the big rear tine tillers are nearly indestructible and will run virtually forever.

What else is unusual is how seldom you see older MTD equipment. I'll admit it, my neighbor has an MTD front tine tiller thats at least 30 years old and it's a well made machine, although very simple and basic. This makes me wonder, where did MTD come from to get so big and gobble up quality names just to run them into the ground?

Yep, their older tillers are indestructible. I guess I just got lucky with this trimmer... so far...

all of the reviews are negative lol
i love this review someone posted on it:

"I don't know who Troy is but he sure builds terrible stuff! Our expensive weed eater only lasted a couple of uses."

Did anyone else read the one about how you are supposed to adjust the valve timing and replace the valve cover gasket after every 10 hours of use? Who in the world would design such a horrible excuse of an engine that would require that kind of constant tweaking! Maybe in a race car or something, but good grief, these poor people just want to trim their grass!

I think a lot of the hard starting is caused be a combination of bad valve timing and a very lean low speed circuit in the carb.

My old man bought one. It ran twice I think. He figured the two piece shaft design was so it would fit in a standard garbage can.

Ya, it's the old Ryobi 4 cycle platform...

It's total trash, it comes branded as BOLENS, Cub Cadet, Troy Bilt, and probably TORO now as well...pretty much any 4 stroke on the market that isnt:

Stihl 4 Mix, Shindaiwa C4, Briggs Fource, Honda 4 stroke....

Is the old Ryobi 4 stroke platform, and it's garbage.

The motor itself uses a plastic cam, and the valvetrain wears rapidly meaning valve lash changes all the time, the motor itself can wear VERY rapidly and begin to smoke the 3oz of oil it holds in its sump. They do start hard, dont always like ot idle, are loud and rattly, heavy, poorly balanced, fuel hungry, produce alot of heat so the unit itself gets hot..

The bump heads, if they dont fly apart right off, you will probably have to replace it soon due to the knob becoming over tightened.

Straight shaft trimmers will round the square ends of the cable, and curve shafts will snap at the bend every time.

We due tons of warranty work on them, Ive had em come in 2 months old and smoked so bad oil dripped out the muffler.

199.95 and you can have yourself a smooth running, reliable, professional...ECHO SRM-210 and not have to deal with that 4 cycle bullsh*t.

I think the problem is in the way they try to start it. It clearly says in the description, that it "starts with a slow and steady pull" :monkey:

i beleive i had one of those units, i had the 'big red' model. bought at the end of the season, used it aprox 10 times. brought it out at the begining of next season (last spring) and it was hard to start. got it going and used it once. next time i tried i pulled till the recoil started acting up. it eventually started and the head got fouled up.

i carried it in to lowes, coverd in grass and used, and asked for my money.... months after i bought it. they told me politely to hit the bricks. :( i went to another lowes and told 'em i had it 2-3 weeks and it quit. they handed me another new in the box. i then went back to my lowes and returned it for store credit.:)

did i abuse the system? yes. but, they get what they deserve for peddling crap like that.

btw: i bought an echo srm-230 and it is the single best weeder i have ever used!

MTD should be banished to the fiery crucible of Hades, deep within the power equipment underworld for putting the Troy-Bilt and Bolens names on such absolute crap equipment.

Don't forget Cub Cadet. Both of mine are over 35 years old. If I bought a new one, do you think I'd still be using it in 30 years? My 125 outlasted its Kohler engine, my 149 is still original.

At least the CC saws were Efcos. If MTD had ever sold the 62cc version, I'd gladly trade my Deere CS-62 for one. Maybe someday I'll find a straight gassed 56cc Cub chainsaw and put a 62cc jug on it.

Don't forget Cub Cadet. Both of mine are over 35 years old. If I bought a new one, do you think I'd still be using it in 30 years? My 125 outlasted its Kohler engine, my 149 is still original.

At least the CC saws were Efcos. If MTD had ever sold the 62cc version, I'd gladly trade my Deere CS-62 for one. Maybe someday I'll find a straight gassed 56cc Cub chainsaw and put a 62cc jug on it.

I have a pre-MTD Cub Cadet 1450...built like a battleship. The in-laws still have an older 18 hp MTD garden tractor, runs great...I have an older S. States "Statesman" 12 hp rider that I use as a mini-bush hog.

MTD should be banished to the fiery crucible of Hades, deep within the power equipment underworld for putting the Troy-Bilt and Bolens names on such absolute crap equipment.
X2, nothing short of shameful. What makes me wonder is how so many are fooled??? Maybe mechanics comes too easy for us? When Lowes first came to town X years ago we went up to the grand opening and they had a long line of riders out front, Cub Cadet, Bolens, Troy Built. Anyone short of a moron could see they were all the same POS with different paint and decals yet they sold like half price gold. Guy next door stilll wont hardly speak to me after I told him his new Troy B was nothing but a dime store MTD with a horn button and curb feelers added, Oh well,,,,:(

Nothing that bears the Tyoy-Bilt name is anything like the quality of their older equipment. MTD should be banished to the fiery crucible of Hades, deep within the power equipment underworld for putting the Troy-Bilt and Bolens names on such absolute crap equipment. The Troy-Bilt tillers and chippers from the 80's and older are very solid and well made machines, the big rear tine tillers are nearly indestructible and will run virtually forever.

What else is unusual is how seldom you see older MTD equipment. I'll admit it, my neighbor has an MTD front tine tiller thats at least 30 years old and it's a well made machine, although very simple and basic. This makes me wonder, where did MTD come from to get so big and gobble up quality names just to run them into the ground?

I agree. Once mtd bought theym out their products were cheap crud

MTD also continued using the T-Bilt name but refused to honor any existing T-Bilt warranties.

Troy Bilt used to be a quality product.