Air Compressor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a larger one because of my career choice, but if I was looking for something small for the garage or the like, I would pick something like this one for lighter duty work. The larger tank helps by having at least a little time of use without the compressor running(and they are loud unless you find a screw type compressor, but they are big $$)
Bottom-line pricing on Mountain - ACP128-B at ToolTopia.com

And don't get a cheap PVC air hose as they become nearly solid in cold and always retain a memory of how they are coiled.

Nick

Edit: Tooltopia also has free shipping on all orders over $99

Last edited:
That compressor will serve you well..IMHO.

Makita a Quality product..for sure!!

Tank is small..but should serve your purpose..Price is reasonable..IMHO..!!
:cheers:
J2F

I'm looking for something small basically to clean filters, saws, fill tires etc. Any suggestions?

Air compressors are great for blowing off dirty saws!

If all you want to do is inflate and blow things off, you can buy a 1 HP compressor at home centers, Sears, etc., for $90 - $120. they typically have a small (1 to 3 gallon) 'hot dog' or 'pancake' shaped tank. Sometimes they are offered in kits along with some basic air tools.

They will still generate 100+ PSI, which is fine, as most car tires are 35 PSI, and blow guns are safety limited at 30 PSI. These compressors will also operate most pneumatic air guns, nailers, staplers, etc., if you ever plan on using those around your shop.

The bigger compressors (more HP and bigger tanks) give you more volume. This is needed for larger air tools (die grinders, impact wrenches, drills, spray paint guns, etc.). If you don't plan on using those in your shop, you can save a lot of money, and get a smaller unit that takes up less space and is easier to carry between the basement and the garage.

Compressors are not recommended for inflating high pressure bicycle tires, as they tend to fill them too fast, causing them to explode. Also be careful cleaning out air filters, as you can blow off the flocking with high pressure air, creating leaks. Your saw's owner's manual probably recommends gently washing the filters in warm soapy water.

Philbeert

I bought some little Chinese Harbor Freight special on sale for the little dump I have at the lake several years ago. It has never missed a beat.

The one a have in the shop is for continuous duty using air tools or painting and is really not necessary for much of anything else.

This is best model I could find under $200.

That Makita looks like a high quality tool. You should consider the differences between oil-bath and an oil-free compressor.

The oil-bath (sorry, might be another term to describe this) models use compressor oil to lubricate the cylinders and maintain compression. They tend to be more expensive, heavier, quieter, and last longer. But they require you to add oil, and can sometimes, drip oil (a problem if used for finish carpentry, etc.). They do not like cold weather as well, and need to be on a level surface (e.g., not on a sloping roof).

Oil-free compressors have a low friction cylinder lining, so they do not use oil. They tend to be less expensive, lighter, louder, and do not last as long in commercial use. They do not drip oil. They work better in cold weather and on sloped roofs.

I would normally suggest going with a large, oil-bath compressor for heavy shop use, and an oil-free compressor for smaller tasks like you describe.

Philbert

Wondering what air compressor you guys have?

I'm looking for something small basically to clean filters, saws, fill tires etc.

All the reviews I've read haven't helped much.

This is best model I could find under $200.

Makita

Amazon.com: Makita MAC700 Big Bore 2.0 HP Air Compressor: Home Improvement

Any suggestions?

That actually looks like something a contractor or a roofer would order to use with a nail gun or the like. They are good outfits but you could find something to suit your purposes a little cheaper and with a bigger tank. I've used a Campbell-Housfield (sp.) for several years that was cheaper than that. The only difference in the two types is that the compressor runs longer with the smaller tank. I have three size compressors, since you asked, a small Campbell-Hs compressor with a ten gallon or so tank, a 5 hp with a 30 gallon tank which is good for painting and a Craftsman upright which is also around 5hp but is either a 50 or 60 gallon tank(can't remember which). The Craftsman and the smaller Campbell are oilless so I prefer the one that has oil, no real reason, just seems like it would last longer.

Air compressors are great for blowing off dirty saws!

If all you want to do is inflate and blow things off, you can buy a 1 HP compressor at home centers, Sears, etc., for $90 - $120. they typically have a small (1 to 3 gallon) 'hot dog' or 'pancake' shaped tank. Sometimes they are offered in kits along with some basic air tools.

Philbeert

I'm with Philbert

I have the pancake style from Sears under the bench and the hose in mounted on the bottom of the bench right next to the vise

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

I mostly use it for blowing things off; dont think I've ever use it to blow a tire up just blowing off saws

Thanks for the help. I like that the oiled unit is quieter and longevity.

It seems it's better suited for more tasks should they happen.

I'll check out Sears for sure.

Depending on what they have I still might get that Makita unit since I have Amazon prime and the price seems good.

I have a 2HP 8 gallon Harbor Freight compressor that looks a lot like that Makita except for color (mine's all black). Good little oil lubricated unit I use it for airing tires, blowing crap offa parts, and running an impact gun, air chisel, or similar air tools. It's a bit light for the air tool use, but perfect for everyday tire/blowgun use. Been in service for a good seven or eight years without missing a beat. The regulator doesn't flow very well, and the pressure setting wanders a bit. It's kinda noisey too, as it spins at higher RPM than the beld drive compressors. Other than those minor issues, no complaints. Got it on sale for $99. I've been meaning to replace the regulator for a few years now. Just haven't gotten around to it.....

I run a lot of air tools and needed a compressor big enough to run a Hutchins Hustler for a boat project. I also was limited to 120 volts (30 amp service) so I bought the highest SCFM compressor I could find that would run on 120v. The air file pushes even this thing to its limit.

I ended up with this:

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

compressor.jpg

It is quiet and has been trouble free for five years now. It spent some time under water when it was only a couple of weeks old and that hasn't seemed to bother it one bit. It lives in my garage now on a dedicated 20 amp circuit and it occasionally trips the breaker at startup.

Last edited:
Don't make the mistake I did years ago and that is to buy a compressor that is too small for your future intended uses. Same is true for a welder and several other shop items. It's cheaper to buy one big compressor than a small and then a big compressor.

Don't make the mistake I did years ago and that is to buy a compressor that is too small for your future intended uses. Same is true for a welder and several other shop items. It's cheaper to buy one big compressor than a small and then a big compressor.

On that same note make sure you take into account the electrical needs of what you buy. I either need to run a 30 amp circuit for mine or rewire to 220v, as running down to the basement from the garage every time it trips the breaker is really annoying. The literature for mine claimed it would run on a 15 amp circuit. Fat chance of that as it draws a fuzz under 20 amps at startup. Once running a 15 amp circuit would run it just fine, but getting it running would be an issue.

I run a lot of air tools and needed a compressor big enough to run a Hutchins Hustler for a boat project. I also was limited to 120 volts (30 amp service) so I bought the highest SCFM compressor I could find that would run on 120v. The air file pushes even this thing to its limit.

I ended up with this:

compressor.jpg

It is quiet and has been trouble free for five years now. It spent some time under water when it was only a couple of weeks old and that hasn't seemed to bother it one bit. It lives in my garage now on a dedicated 20 amp circuit and it occasionally trips the breaker at startup.

I have the same one and it has been great! I can run impact and cut off tools without an issue. Reasonably quite.

If i didn't want to run air tools, I would buy this one: GMC compressor

We just got one at work. Super quiet and well made (believe it or not). Not sure who actually makes it, it certainly isn't GM.

When I opened up the Site I couldn't believe this thread was on here. Yesterday and this afternoon was out shopping for a compressor to blow out my chainsaws. Haven't been able to use my father's in his barn that i used for years. Bought a cheap Chinese one year ago this past fall. Crapped out yesterday. I want to thank you for all your information that couldn't get either on the Internet or in stores. Probably get one this weekend up in NH. Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Ridgid 4 gallon for doing trim work light fab, craftsman 33 gallon for light shop work, hitachai 8 gallon 5.5 horse honda for mobile maintaince and a 12.5horse 30 gallon IR for for doing heavy fab and sandblasting etc.

Very good points! Keep in mind I have one of these, EMGLO 5Hp Honda Portable Air Comp-Fob | Wayfair it will run a 3/4" impact, dotco etc., etc.... just fine, but it's noisy, heavy and you can't run it with the garage door closed in the winter!
I got my Craftsman because I got tired of feeding the Emglo gas, or, nail the board, shut it off, cut the next piece, fit it, climb back down, start the compressor and go back up with the nail gun and board then start all over again. It sucked hanging siding like that!
I can take the Craftsman to a job, carry it inside and use it, rather than having to run hose from the outside to the work area.
Doing what I do, it's a nice pair to have. If I were limited to one, I'd have to have at least a 30 gallon tank and prefer a two stage.
I'd LOVE to find a little screw type for 110v or single phase 220v, but I've priced them:msp_scared:

Latest posts

Back