What a peice of crap!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the curved shaft for just grass trimming along my fence. That's all I use it for. Mine starts super easy, it's super quiet and I've had it for 3yrs this summer. Not one lick of trouble. I've actually never properly winterized it and it fired up after both winters.
For the $119 I paid for it, I got my moneys worth out of it already so if it craps out, ohh well, I have my 90 series Stihl that I'll use. I use the Stihl strictly for brush cutting.

My biggest beef with the cheapie curved-shaft trimmers is that they're too stinkin short! I have to crouch to use them, which is really annoying, and I am used to straight shafts which I like alot better.

My biggest beef with the cheapie curved-shaft trimmers is that they're too stinkin short! I have to crouch to use them, which is really annoying, and I am used to straight shafts which I like alot better.

I'm tall 6'3" and have no problems. I do have a 36/37 inseam....lol But i feel real comfy with it.
The Straight shaft trimmers I just can seem to keep flat on the ground without lifting the engine end way up. Kinda uncomfortable. I refuse to use a straight shaft to edge grass. i only bought the straight shaft stihl is soley for bruch. ZI wanted the solid shaft for that.
I only bought the Troy built for comfort, super lightweight and it's a 4-stoke=super quiet. It has e-z start coil spring as well which is a 2 finger pull. It's a great homeowners unit but certainly not for commercial use.

I'm with you on that. You cant really get the reach to get under some objects like lilac bushes with curved shaft.

i beleive i had one of those units, i had the 'big red' model. bought at the end of the season, used it aprox 10 times. brought it out at the begining of next season (last spring) and it was hard to start. got it going and used it once. next time i tried i pulled till the recoil started acting up. it eventually started and the head got fouled up.

i carried it in to lowes, coverd in grass and used, and asked for my money.... months after i bought it. they told me politely to hit the bricks. :( i went to another lowes and told 'em i had it 2-3 weeks and it quit. they handed me another new in the box. i then went back to my lowes and returned it for store credit.:)

did i abuse the system? yes. but, they get what they deserve for peddling crap like that.

btw: i bought an echo srm-230 and it is the single best weeder i have ever used!

that's how ya stick it to the man lol good job

that's how ya stick it to the man lol good job

I hear you Man! I'm sick and tired of this "CHINESE CRAP" that gets rammed down our throat.I bet when they held the Olympics there they didn't use such inferior JUNK. Sorry about the rant.

I hear you Man! I'm sick and tired of this "CHINESE CRAP" that gets rammed down our throat.I bet when they held the Olympics there they didn't use such inferior JUNK. Sorry about the rant.

Well then, don't buy the junk. No one is forcing anyone to buy crap. Is there an abundance of it, yes, but doesn't mean you have to spend your hard earned money on it if you don't want to.

Right on! Bending over also puts unnecessary strain on our backs. The straight-shaft on my Stihl FS-76 is great for reaching underneath obstacles. In addition, straight shaft trimmers should outlast curved-shaft trimmers. The solid driveshaft in my FS-76 is more durable than the flexible driveshafts/cables in the curved-shaft trimmers.

Balance on a straight-shaft trimmer should not be a problem. Balance between the cutting head and the engine is easily adjusted by moving the harness attachment point on the shaft away from or closer to the engine.

I could not help but share this review with y'all.

Not a saw but still OPE and gives good perspective to where the "box store" class of equipment has gone.

http://www.amazon.com/Troy-Bilt-17-...ts=1&colid=&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

After reading this I retract everything bad I have ever said about working on Stihls, and even makes me think wrenching on a WildThingie isn't all that bad.

Angel,

Wow! You're busy I see. I have been too. What have I discoved on the internet?

Well, put a dab of Brylcreem in your left hand. Now, put a dab of two stroke oil in your right hand. Rub them together to get a nice mix going. Rub once in your hair. Now, with the hands still a bit greasy, take out your your The Beatles album and place it on your turntable. Move the stylis to the end of Revolution 9 and start playing it backwards. Didja hear that? Plain as day, ain't it?

Angel of death man...Angel of death man...Angel of death man...Angel of death man...Angel of death man...Angel of death man...Angel of death man...Angel of death man...Angel of death man...Angel of death man...Angel of death man...Angel of death man...Angel of death man...

And, AOD spelled backwards is DOA,

Joat

Last edited:
MTD is crap! Has always been and will alway be crap! My dad bought a MTD riding mower years ago because it was so cheap. Well you get what you pay for. He uloaded at home and began cutting grass. About 2 trips around the yard and all hell broke loose. The engine came loose from the frame, other bolts were falling off left and right, and one of the back tires went flat. Til this day he is against any MTD product.

Angel,

Wow! You're busy I see. I have been too. What have I discoved on the internet?

Well, put a dab of Brylcreem in your left hand. Now, put a dab of two stroke oil in your right hand. Rub them together to get a nice mix going. Rub once in your hair. Now, with the hands still a bit greasy, take out your your The Beatles album and place it on your turntable. Move the stylis to the end of Revolution 9 and start playing it backwards. Didja hear that? Plain as day, ain't it?

Angel of death man...Angel of death man...Angel of death man...Angel of death man...Angel of death man...Angel of death man...Angel of death man...Angel of death man...Angel of death man...Angel of death man...Angel of death man...Angel of death man...Angel of death man...

And, AOD spelled backwards is DOA,

Joat

Mr Joat.

Could you possibly be referring to this album?

ReigninBlood.jpg

Interesting reports on the weedwackers choices across the country.
In these parts the only machines that are "laboror proof" which means ..."certified to operate" in Mexican....are RedMax, Stihl and Husky in order of preference. RedMax is the machine of choice for backpack blowers too. I think the engines are Zehoah or Kamatsu or something like that. I absolutely love them.. I also have a 20 year old HomeLite POS trimmer that just won't die. I thought I did it in last season but then replaced the fuel line and off it went. Pure junk ,rattles like a coffee can full of bolts but won't die.
My theory is see whats hangin in the back of the real clean and professional looking contractor rigs and buy it. Someone that uses a tool all day long can't afford to buy cheap crap.
A