New saw break in..... Do You.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deezlfan

Meadow River Lumber Co. 6
Reaction score
There are probably as many opinions on new saw break in as there are on which oil to use or which brand to buy, but what has worked for you? Some say slow and steady and others say run it like you stole it. What say you?

Run it like ya stole it. A saw will definetly run stronger after you run a few tanks through it, but there is absolutely no reason to baby it during that time.

If you bought it from a dealer, they will normally have the saw "detuned" for the break in period (Approx 10 tanks of fuel). Then after the saw is run in, you can return to the dealer to have the saw "tuned up" to max no load RPM.

Not around here...

...that's just silly.

Gary

Hey I dont know. My dealer does this for nothing and is only a few miles from me, so why not. By having the saw slightly richer you are not putting as much load on the motor, and are providing more fuel (lubricant) for the break in period.

Put it in some wood and let er rip! I just wouldn't run it wide open out of the cut.

I came here with similar questions over a year ago. What I took from all the discussions and tips is as follows:

1. Run the saw WOT in wood no matter what the age of the engine.

2. Try not to run it WOT out of wood for the first few tanks (as stated in the manual).

3. In general, full synthetic oil is run by folks who cut for a living and those who want to get the most life out of their engine with possibly longer periods between engine maintenance. If any of those appeal to you, make your oil decision accordingly.

Gary, did I pass OIL 101? :greenchainsaw:

I came here with similar questions over a year ago. What I took from all the discussions and tips is as follows:

2. Try not to run it WOT out of wood for the first few tanks (as stated in the manual).

3. In general, full synthetic oil is run by folks who cut for a living and those who want to get the most life out of their engine with possibly longer periods between engine maintenance. If any of those appeal to you, make your oil decision accordingly.

I catch h3ll for this every time but I still wouldn't run full synth for the first couple gallons. In my opinion it prevents the rings from seating.

Yes... :)

I catch h3ll for this every time but I still wouldn't run full synth for the first couple gallons. In my opinion it prevents the rings from seating.

Dude... it's not a car engine... your 2 stroke will be just fine. :)

Gary

I started my 361 on semi-synthetic because I got it free and the new dealer didn't carry ultra yet. I guess I halfway adopted your plan without even trying! Wnen new, my 290 got Husqvarna and Tractor supply dino oil just because it said smokeless 2-cycle oil on the bottle.

Dude... it's not a car engine... your 2 stroke will be just fine. :)

Gary

Every time :dizzy:

Yes I know it's just a tool but for literally 0 effort I feel I get a better break in. Regardless of what it is why wouldn't everybody want that?

Just start it, approach the wood you want to cut and pull the trigger. There isn't any break in proceedure, well yes there is, its called using it.

Thats it, your done.

Sam

Back