011AVT will not run sideways???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aldiehoggydoggy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Fuel line good, new carb kit from Stihl, good spark, good comp., runs awesome vertical. Turn it sideways and it bogs and dies. I'm seriously tired of fooling with this P.O.S. And it does it full of fuel. Any thoughts???

You may want to try flexing the A/V system to verify that it's actually turning it sideways that causes it, rather than something flexing and opening an air leak or somesuch.

I would think the crank seals would lean it out and make it scream.

Not always.......................in fact that's not the case most of the time. Leaking to the point of racing ('screaming') more often comes from a badly leaking gasket (often from screws that have vibrated loose), a cracked/leaking intake manifold, or a torn/leaking intake boot in my experience.

Changing, erratic tune is the hallmark of leaking crank seals. You can have the saw tuned 'right' for a certain amount of air leak..........and then a slight change in saw position (or temperature, or deteriorating seal/boot/manifold condition) can change the amount of air leak (and impulse signal loss) and therefore change the tune. They don't always change tune with position change either. I've seen people falsely eliminate leaking crank seals as the cause of the saw's ills because it didn't change idle speed when tilted......................only to find that the crank seals were still leaking.

I'd go ahead and pressure/vac test it. You are just guessing otherwise. Also, the reed plate on those is known to distort and create an air leak.

Back