017 Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAWFORD79

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a Stihl 017 that starts, runs, and idles fine and cuts good until I shut it off then it won't restart. Seems to flood. Have tried choke on, choke off, and just normal on setting. Have removed spark plug when this happens and it is wet, I dry it and pull rope several times to get fuel out of cylinder and try again. No luck until saw cools off completely and then it will start normally again. Thanks for any help and advice in advance.

Does it have good spark when hot. Thinking coil. I had one while back with same symptoms and coil was bad. Just an idea.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Two things: #1) Don't use the choke when the engine is warm. (will flood it every time). #2) If it refuses to start when warm and the plug is dry (not flooded) then try installing a new plug. Sometimes a plug will get a small microcrack in the electrode porcelain. When it does, the crack will widen out as the plug warms up and will start allowing the spark plug to short out. When the plug cools off the gap closes in that tiny crack and the spark plug will work again.
Good luck with working it out! Those little 017 saws are the bomb! I have one as wells as an 018! Great little saws!!!

Latest posts

Back