017 won't shut off

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I got a new OEM coil for it, installed it, and now I have very little spark. It tried to pop a few times but no go. Saw ran great before. I'm not sure how much gap I need between the coil and the magnets.

Not sure if it works for this model, but I've always been told a business card is a good gauge and seems to work for me. Put the magneto the furthest away from the coil, loosen the coil, slide the card in, spin the magneto so it's closest to the coil and the card is pinched between them, tighten the screws and slip the card out.

Not sure if it works for this model, but I've always been told a business card is a good gauge and seems to work for me. Put the magneto the furthest away from the coil, loosen the coil, slide the card in, spin the magneto so it's closest to the coil and the card is pinched between them, tighten the screws and slip the card out.
Did the business card trick, still no go. Cleaned all contact points, still no pop. Mabey I have a bad coil...?

Did the business card trick, still no go. Cleaned all contact points, still no pop. Mabey I have a bad coil...?
Where did you get the coil and how do you know it is the right one?

BTW, coil gap is .008"-.012" so you need to find a relatively thin business card and/or get out your calipers and measure.

Where did you get the coil and how do you know it is the right one?

BTW, coil gap is .008"-.012" so you need to find a relatively thin business card and/or get out your calipers and measure.
Got the coil at the stihl shop. OEM.

Thanks for coil gap measurements.

Maybe I have a bad coil...?
Highly unlikely. Can you put up a photo of the markings on the coil?

Also, spark can be hard to see in daylight and especially with the .020" normal plug gap. If you have an old plug you can open the gap and see if you can still see spark.

If you have NO spark you can pull the kill wire off the coil to rule out a short in the kill switch wiring.

Finally got back around to this saw, it's running now, I used pack of neocitran to give me the gap and it fired back up, shuts off with the switch, works good. If it would stop raining I'd try it out.
A business card was too much of a gap for this coil, had to find a thinner spacer.

Latest posts

Back