020 av

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The hole in the cap is the vent and if it is over filled it would push some fuel out. The oil tank is vented the same way and will push oil out if over filled.

Did the bubbling happen with a warm saw and was then refueled? If yes, with that fuel cap,it is normal. Been there, done that.

Actually I didn't even run it. I just put fuel in it (1/2 tank) i went to tighten chain or something and noticed fuel coming out the cap breather hole. If I just move it around it seems like it oozes out.

My 020 is on the bench for a winter check up. 100 different things to do needed to be done yesterday.
I hope another member offers something of help. It will be another few weeks till I blow the dust off ... unless the weather has me burning the midnight candle(s).
Just curious, how well used is your saw? The caps will over time develop age related issues. Swing the saw a little, even just picking it up and caring it and those old caps will show their age. (ie. leak a little.)
Do you have a good Stihl dealer near you? They might have a NOS cap.
If that burbling concerns you, then you should do something.
When I have pulled up our 020 on a rope or hanging from my belt, I have smelled fuel on my pants. Not all great saws are without some faults.
Wish you the best with finding a solution. The 020 AV was "MY" first saw (used.) I did same major work to it to keep it going.
Just a little personal info.
Best, Mike.

Thanks Mike 4 the rep,
Yeah it is one of my first saws got off ebay. I was just wondering if this was somewhat normal and i guess it is. Also i have a question for you, Have you ever broken that 20 down to the bare bones to work on the carb? I have no idea how th crack the shell on this thing. I tried once but got frustrated. Just would like to check things under the hood. If you have any advice about getting this thing apart it would be deeply appreciated.

Todd

Back