020AVP Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Gut

A Fine Pilsner
Reaction score
Rebuilding a freebee. About 6 months ago I received a 020AVP saw, year unknown. I want to replace the sprocket cover, the one on the saw only covers the sprocket leaving the muffler and spark plug wire exposed. I see several pics online of both covers, some with a cover like mine and others with a full cover that goes over the muff. Will either fit my saw?

Either way another freebee, a saw discarded by someone at my work because it sat for some years, carb was plugged.. I always struggle with these because it didnt take me but 2 hours and now perfect, wonder if I shouldnt give it back..:msp_rolleyes:

Oh here I am again. Should do this in one post but, will this saw drive a 3/8 chain? It has a 16in bar with picco on it now but chain is shot, I have a 16in 3/8 laying around, I only have saws with 3/8 or .404 so it would be great if I could keep it the same. Need to buy chains or a sprocket either way.

You can convert to 3/8. Along with the bar and chain you will need to change the clutch sprocket and oil gear.

Looks like a clean saw. Do yourself a favor, put it on a shelf and leave it there. Not a saw that is fun to work on...:(

It was a bear. I picked at it for 6 months or more. The worst was getting the tune, and during the assembly getting the carb fitting to line up with the fuel line gromet. What a stupid design. :dizzy:

Had to take appart and put together numerous times. Ouch

The saw was pretty clean I did paint the handle and muffler.

The sprocket/muffler cover changed over the years. Stihl made that saw for a good long time starting in the early 1970's when consumer protection wasn't as strong. The older saws only cover the sprocket and the newer saws cover the sprocket and the muffler. There is very little holding the muffler part of the cover to the sprocket part so I have seen quite a few where the muffler cover was broken off.

...will this saw drive a 3/8 chain? It has a 16in bar with picco on it now but chain is shot, I have a 16in 3/8 laying around, I only have saws with 3/8 or .404 so it would be great if I could keep it the same. Need to buy chains or a sprocket either way.
No way. Isn't that a thirty some cc saw? I'm sure they don't even make the parts necessary for that.

Thought it would be just a sprocket change. Also have the 16" 3/8 bar and chains laying around never gets used anymore. I guess I will have to go by some picco chains.

Are there different sizes to those, and I dont mean length? Talking kurf and pitch.

I have a 020, 1/4" chain. It's a shelf Queen. I have other saws and don't need to bother with that turkey.
I lucked into a sweet 026 Wood Boss that has become my fav.
I had so much problems with a 015 and 1/4" chain I changed it over to 3/8 LP.
Truth be known, it wasn't worth the time or the money.
Find yourself another saw, there are millions out there and they make more every day.

I have a 020, 1/4" chain. It's a shelf Queen. I have other saws and don't need to bother with that turkey.
I lucked into a sweet 026 Wood Boss that has become my fav.
I had so much problems with a 015 and 1/4" chain I changed it over to 3/8 LP.
Truth be known, it wasn't worth the time or the money.
Find yourself another saw, there are millions out there and they make more every day.

Have lots of saws, just restoring this one for a fun project. The chain is shot and need to replace it. And my other ? was this saw comes with a sprocket cover that only covers the sprocket, I see some 020's with a cover that covers the muff as well. Wondering if that cover will fit this saw also I just think it looks better?

I believe it has original sprocket due to wear, can anyone tell by the pic about how old this saw would be, and what size chain it would have?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Excellent-S...855099419?pt=US_Chainsaws&hash=item20cb9e401b Here is an exapmle on ebay of the cover compared to mine.

Last edited:
It is hard to tell looking at your pic, but I would guess you have 1/4 pitch sprocket as most were. Easiest way to tell is the 1/4 sprockets were 8 tooth and the pico were 6 tooth. you can still find a few pico drums if you look hard. oil gears for pico are hard to find. you can mod a 1/4 oil gear to work though.

Last edited:
It is hard to tell looking at your pic, but I would guess you have 1/4 pitch sprocket as most were. Easiest way to tell is the 1/4 sprockets were 8 tooth and the pico were 6 tooth. you can still find a few pico drums if you look hard. oil gears for pico are hard to find. you can mod a 1/4 oil gear to work though.

Thanks that will help..

Beer Gut,

I've got 020's with both types of sprocket covers, I'll see if they will interchange tonight.

Ed

My local stihl dealer carries it, I think I paid 50 cents a driver. It's a common chain size for chainsaw carving, because of the small radius carving bar tips.
Baileys also carries it, and if you click on the carving chains in the chain section, they carry several different styles to suit the preferences of different carvers.

I paid $28 for the chain on my carving saw, and that was for a very narrow 14" dime tip carving bar.

get ready to pay $35+ for a chain.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back