024/026 Frankensaw Project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, here she is. All buttoned up and ready to go!

CC6A6953-F832-4A2E-AA63-5EA770493FDD-434-00000025EB96CF89.jpg

50F78E16-5376-4A6D-9CA6-81F2C3D31FD5-434-00000025F23E53CC.jpg

I think this saw is perfect with that 16" bar on it. The balance is pretty much perfect too. Now just gotta get the first start video (still uploading).........

Okay, here she is. All buttoned up and ready to go!

CC6A6953-F832-4A2E-AA63-5EA770493FDD-434-00000025EB96CF89.jpg

50F78E16-5376-4A6D-9CA6-81F2C3D31FD5-434-00000025F23E53CC.jpg

I think this saw is perfect with that 16" bar on it. The balance is pretty much perfect too. Now just gotta get the first start video (still uploading).........

Looking good. 16" are good but you might want to try a 18" .325 so you don't have to bend over as far.

Okay, got the tank vent yesterday and got that put in. I also decided to paint the handle and used some bbq grill paint on the front half of the muffler (can't really see the back half anyway). I used some styrofoam I had laying around to make a nice little crate for it's journey to Dad. Should be able to get it shipped tomorrow. It's all drained, packed and ready to rock.

98315077-B00B-45E8-94AD-640764F2429D-1947-000000E2D6B6B8BF.jpg

Now I just have to finish my buddy's sub box (fiberglass project currently taking up the whole bench), and I can start tearing down the 045 and started building the next 024/026 saw.........

So I went ahead and put the wt22 on my ms260 with a heavily modded muffler and it runs pretty well. Got it to four stroke and it cleans up in the cut. So I would say with a mildy modded saw The wt22 even with its smaller venuri is a good setup especially if you have a non adjustable high speed carb to begin with.
yep... been sayin that's the right carb for the job since you can find the 22b's cheaper than 194's. Nobody listens to me though. :msp_ohmy:
Okay, so I made some significant progress today. I just about have another saw, the one I'll be sending to my dad, together. It's basically ready to go with the exception of the fuel system and covers. I pressure tested everything and found out I need a new decompression valve, but everything is tight with a plug in the deco hole. Here's how it sits now.
B12ACD10-B8AD-4F81-B549-1FE6848F687B-11782-0000057EAF67AEDF.jpg

Hopefully I can get it all buttoned up tomorrow.
lookin good... 045 time?

Nice work on that saw Gritz.

I've never been a Stihl fan but I'm liking the 024/026 series. Here is a nice little 024AV Super that I picked up this week. $20 in parts and a good clean up.

attachment.php

Nice work on that saw Gritz.

I've never been a Stihl fan but I'm liking the 024/026 series. Here is a nice little 024AV Super that I picked up this week. $20 in parts and a good clean up.

attachment.php

That's a nice saw there! I'm growing quite fond of these little saws. I've got to get started on putting together another 024/026 saw. I want to get one to play with porting, etc. I still need to get one set up to compare all the different carbs with.

@ Nathan, the 045 will have to wait for a minute, but it'll get there. I'll keep you posted. It's likely I'll work on the 660s a little too.

I put a wt22 on my ms260 pro a couple months ago as I posted earlier in this thread. It slings a 20 inch bar with a .325 pitch chain. I use the thing on a weekly basis and I love it. the wt22 does a fine job, even with a heavy muff mod.

That gives me an idea: If you have android phone, install a frequency analyzer (I use "FrequenSee" and "gStrings" tuner), and maybe this way you can take the dominant TONE and multiply it to get to the result per minute.. I assume it would work better while reving because in lower RPM down to idle - there are too many other noises that will 'mask' the frequency of the combustion rate which is too slow anyway..

One time I did it with a blower:
I noticed the 'Sinus' kinds whistle the fan makes, I counted the fins on it (9?) , let the graphic analyzer work while I ran the blower to full RPM , by the graph I estimated that whistle (somewhere around 1350 Hertz , which is per second), multiplied it in 60 to get 'per minute' , and divided to 9 (remember the number of fins that 'cut' the air every 1 revolution of the cylinder?) and got around 9000 RPM . Now, that's only estimating since I cannot remember the exact result.

Bottom line - I wish someone would program an app for Android or something, where you can fill in variables to match the measured device/engine so it can pick up the sound and calculate the RPM on REAL TIME . ...

BTW,
I'm a sound engineer and a sound freak, but no software programmer.. LOL

Jo.

Okay. Now I have the original saw back together and running. It now has a WT-394 on it. I cleaned it up quite a bit. Next order of business will be to piece together another carb or two. I'd like to find a handle with the heating element in it (mine is to far bent to get back to god). Then I'll get another saw running. What should I build next? MS260 (44.7mm), I think.

911CED0F-18EA-4ABD-BDEF-9543D6AEE25F-9525-0000067DBE8AC101_zpsf72df899.jpg

good job!

Okay. Now I have the original saw back together and running. It now has a WT-394 on it. I cleaned it up quite a bit. Next order of business will be to piece together another carb or two. I'd like to find a handle with the heating element in it (mine is to far bent to get back to god). Then I'll get another saw running. What should I build next? MS260 (44.7mm), I think.

911CED0F-18EA-4ABD-BDEF-9543D6AEE25F-9525-0000067DBE8AC101_zpsf72df899.jpg

Do you have the rest of the saw with all the circuit ready for the heated handle?

Jo.

Here's some inspiration for your 045 restoration. Not far from me but the guy has it priced a little too high....and I need it like another hole in the head!:msp_wink:

attachment.php

Sounds like there's quite the interest in the 045. I guess I'll have to get her down and start prepping for finishing the restoration. I'll start a different thread for it later. I may go ahead and get a start here soon. More on that later.

back to the subject for a moment....

If I may -

1) I have just noticed a difference in two 024/240 cylinders, in the transfer ports..
In one (MS240) they were straight, and the other one that I have no idea exactly what model it came from (all I know it suits 240/024, 42mm bore) - but every port was as if.. divided(?) into two....

WEIRD!

I'll post images soon

If anyone knows what this is about, I'd like to know.

Thanks guys

Jo.

Do you have the rest of the saw with all the circuit ready for the heated handle?

Jo.

Yes, I have to swap in all the wiring, but I have everything except the handle. I actually have the handle, but it was smashed and is beyond reasonable repair.

Restore a 056 mag 2. My buddy has one and its beastly. Just a suggestion.

Does anyone know of other equipment equipped with the wt-194? I plan on having my saw ported and I would imagine after that the wt22 will not suffice.

If I may -

1) I have just noticed a difference in two 024/240 cylinders, in the transfer ports..
In one (MS240) they were straight, and the other one that I have no idea exactly what model it came from (all I know it suits 240/024, 42mm bore) - but every port was as if.. divided(?) into two....

WEIRD!

I'll post images soon

If anyone knows what this is about, I'd like to know.

Thanks guys

Jo.

Thanks, now I have to pull all the cylinders off my saws out of curiosity, lol. I'll look through the TBs when I get a chance.

Latest posts

Back