024/026 Frankensaw Project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This old girl is going with me to chew some logs tomorrow. You should bring yours up when complete.

asset.php

asset.php

asset.php

This old girl is going with me to chew some logs tomorrow. You should bring yours up when complete.

asset.php

asset.php

asset.php

Nice saw. I really like the wrap handle! If it runs as good as it looks, I bet it really rips through some wood! Well, she's got quite a bit of work left before I'm done with her. Once I get the next 1121 series saw built, I'll start a thread just for the 045 and start getting it all together. I'll be certain to take lots of pics and be as thorough as possible.

The next saw will be.........
6657A5C3-FB85-4485-AAFC-E0FD70DA41DE-9525-000006983C2F6928_zps90996c3b.jpg

An MS260 with a 44mm aftermarket cylinder. I'm going to go through this one with my neighbor and teach him as I go. Should be fun. Probably be a little while until I get to it though.

Also, for you guys that have the plastic handle on the 024/026, have you had any reliability issues? He said he doesn't need the heated handles, so I'm not ordering any new handles and can't decide on the plastic or aluminum handle. I figured the plastic would hold less vibration than the aluminum, possibly. I appreciate your help.

owning a rebuilt 024S w/ 44mm AM p&c , alongside a rebuilt German MS240 w/ honed OEM cylinder w/ Meteor matching piston & plastic handlebars, I can only say that even with it's inferior power - I'd always choose the 240 since it was by far the SMOOTHEST saw I ever had.. no joke. But bear in mind that the shorter stroke might have sth to do with the reduced vibes on top of having polymer handles.. Jo.

I was a band nerd before I started working on saws, so when I tune, I listen for tone as much as tune. It's impossible, in my opinion, to actually hear what it's supposed to sound like in a video. Maybe in a recording studio, but a typical saw is more than likely too loud. And I'm rambling again.....

I can relate as a Practical Sound Engineering college graduate, and forever a sound-hound, a huge music fan, and a member in the coolest band ever that might still record an album in the near future.. and I've already confessed earlier in this thread that once I wanted to know the RPM on a blower I had, so I pulled my Android phone that I installed these tuner & frequency analyzer apps on, spotted the tone of the fan, took the frequency and did a lil' math considering the number of the fins on the fan.. multiplied the 'second' to get a 'minute' to get the final RPM.. lol!! Funny, hu?

I came back to the forum after a while and 4got that I already told that story, so I edited the above..

Hope you guys will be OK with it.. and maybe tell me your up-to-date opinions about upgrading this beautiful 024AV Super that I've just found..

did I mention that it has side tensioning????? that's odd, and I did try to look and figure if it's an upgrade.. but it doesn't look like it!! seems original! The previous owner burnt the engine with VERY low hours!! weird..

I know what it's like, I studied the sound and tone of those machines no less than all the rest of what I acquired about them, and every new saw/machine I sit down to tune, I actually try to get the feel, the mass, and the sound of it while it works as I hold the lil' flat screwdriver..

Jo.

Back