Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightning Performance

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is just a start.

After eight years sitting here a thread seemed appropriate to build a tool.

Recommendations?
20230218_002036.jpg

Attachments

• 20230218_002059.jpg
    20230218_002059.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230218_002054.jpg
    20230218_002054.jpg
    953 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230218_002046.jpg
    20230218_002046.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230218_002042.jpg
    20230218_002042.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Maybe new crank bearings and seals,gaskets, OEM cyl ported,Carb work,Muffler work etc.
The owner replaced one bearing on the PTO side with an AM one. I said it needs to be split again and done right but he insisted it is fine. Not my tool not so it is not my decision. At that point it should have been returned to the sender as is.

Thought you might show some skills here Ken. Disappointed in your approach to this thread. If it's been sitting there opened up for 8 years. Welp, Total tear down, clean, inspect is in order. Including but not limited to the internals of oil pump. You should show the younger guys how to clean and check that pump in the palm of your hand with a few drops of oil.

Thought you might show some skills here Ken. Disappointed in your approach to this thread. If it's been sitting there opened up for 8 years. Welp, Total tear down, clean, inspect is in order. Including but not limited to the internals of oil pump. You should show the younger guys how to clean and check that pump in the palm of your hand with a few drops of oil.
I didn't come here to teach or impress anyone. It not my style to toot my own horn like so many others do. That can be done in another thread on my toys.

I should do a lot but today all my time is consumed by bs and defending my name.

Your words didn't fall on deaf ears. Clearly, finishing up this "steamer" first is isn't priority one. Looking to getting a free rebuild is how is see it now looking back. That won't be happening unless your willing to pay for the parts. I've invested plenty of time and money in this already but that can stop and has with no owner response.

PMing me the owners contact info would be a big help. It's all perspective at this point.

Oh, btw I take oil pumps apart to be inspected. I don't have Xray vision or an Xray machine handy although I could use one if things move more in that direction and a cryo unit.

So do you know 71dart?

If the pump didnt melt, it will most likely be fine. Clean up the cylinder and a new set of rings if not a piston. all rubber new oem Setting that long new Wt 149 , If it dont have a 149 on it now. They have gotten high . and you find a used one on Epay they want $30 and up used you know the regular tricks lol

@Lightning Performance that’s a cool saw. I vote to give it the works. Make it a reliable and powerful little saw. I don’t know anything about the past in this situation, and I’m not fishing to find out. I think that saw deserves the full treatment, including porting.
I personally think you should start by eating that Chinese food in the first pic. That’s where I’d start. 🤣

@Lightning Performance that’s a cool saw. I vote to give it the works. Make it a reliable and powerful little saw. I don’t know anything about the past in this situation, and I’m not fishing to find out. I think that saw deserves the full treatment, including porting.
I personally think you should start by eating that Chinese food in the first pic. That’s where I’d start. 🤣
Food eaten, checked off.

It was requested that I take nothing apart and only do a mild woods port with no machine work. This was the request. It came to me complete and its all here as it was. It started and ran but I've never cut wood with it.

The OE top was my idea also.

It looks like the thing will dry rot here.
Should we check the crank play, end play or the seals?
How would we do that with it all apart?
The big end the little end?
Pic an end ;-)

Suggestions?
What hasn't been check that we should check?

New parts are great ideas but how do I know what to check and where?
Cornfused yet?... newbies are.

Nobody asked for piston or cylinder pics. You people a slipping. Help a guy out.

Well with the request of the original owner, I guess just the basics and slap it back together? I am new to chainsaws, but I’ve been a mechanic my whole life. I usually work on bigger things, like cryogenic plants. I got into saws (and other 2 stroke equipment) last year. I’m not sure what a guy would want you to do to the saw without taking it apart. Maybe a nice dye job on the plastics. 😂

Not uncommon for people looking for a little extra power to send a "running" saw to get worked on and request the bottom end not be touched. Imo it's bad form if the saw has any age on it, it should be gone through checked out and whatever needs fixed, gets fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back