025 & 557 package deal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagonwheeler

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Stopped by a friends pawnshop today and picked up a very clean 025 w/ 16" E bar w/ RS chain, hardcase, manual (soaked in bar oil) and files - AND - a new in box Porter Cable 557 plate jointer (well it does cut wood doesn't it?) - for $275. That plate jointer is $197 alone...

He let me run the saw, pull the muffler, etc... Cylinder and piston looked as new, saw runs perfect, paper sticker on the front of the case isn't even damaged.

The bar had a slight gully worn just behind the sprocket top and bottom, but I 'decked' the rails to get rid of the flange. Would this possibly be from leaning on the saw to compensate for a dull chain? Chain was certainly dull.

Dunno if I'll keep both, but couldn't pass on the package deal till I decide.

BTW, after sharpening the chain I cut a tanks worth of small stuff, 4"-8", and it was not just throwing chips, in some cases it was throwing little streamers - like 1 1/2" long thin flakes? That was while cuttin up a Mimosa I beleive... Kinda strange. It had 5/32 files instead of 3/16 so I guess the cutter angle is probably wrong.

I like this a LOT better for small stuff than my CS3000. Way more power and much more comfortable to use. Muffler is stock at the moment...

Chaser

If he'll just locate a 372/440/460 for me...

Latest posts

Back