026 carb swap question........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdog

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys, been reading here fer a few weeks and it seems I have to hot rod my 026(thanks a lot!!).
I have done the muff mod, and actually I am somewhat annoyed that the power had been hiding from me all this time!
I have read as many threads as I can find about woods porting, gasket removal etc, and will hack up my saw soon, but I am somewhat concerned of what I've read about the carb and filter being a restriction and would like to know the best way about fitting the 044 carb.
I have read it will not simply bolt on, but will need some substantial tweaking, but I do not care about the looks as long as the saw performs well.
Any help or additional info would be greatly appreciated, thanks a bunch,
Cdog.

:chainsaw:

Get the dual jet 194 carb and you can make the 026 fly pretty good after the right muffler mod. I run a 3/8" chain on a 18" and 20" bar in hard wood with no problems. And it makes duck work out of green trees with a semi skip chain.

I have just read Brad's 044 to 026 carb swap conversion again and I am ready to do the same, just wondering if he advanced the ignition timing any?
I don't know the elevation where Brad lives, but I live at sea level if that makes any difference ?
Thanks for the help,
Cdog.

No leave ignition be, it's just fine where it is. Go with too much advance and combustion starts to fight it's self on the way to TDC. In some cases there may be small gains availible to a work saw by advancing timing, but they are less than what could be gained by raising compression. Effectivly increasing the carb diamiter will be increasing charge density. This is effectivly like raising dynamic compression and results in a slight advancement in flame propogation which has much the same effect as advancing the timing anyway.

Thanks guys, I'll leave it alone.
Yes brad, I am going to do the "full meal deal" on the saw, I already tried my hand at my 036, I can't imagine NOT doing it to my 026,
Cdog.

026 mods

Cdog,

What did you do to the muffler to gain power. I am newby to this sight and to modififying saws. I would like any advice that I can get to improve the performance of my 026.

Thanks in advance for any thing you are willing to share!

bigfoot72

Brad, just a thought...........
Could it be possible to put a fat o-ring around the groove on the intake of the jug and use the 044 boot, so it would not wrinkle the boot? Or a "square" o-ring like an orfs hydraulic fitting uses??
I was just wondering if there was enough increase in the interior of the boot to try and use the 044 boot instead of the 036 one I have??
Many thanks as usual, Cdog.

P.S.
I just traded my ms290 for 2 running 026's:chainsaw:

Last edited:
I am gearing up to do this swap I have a walboro hd7 off of a 044 and a 038 intake boot. I just need to find out what carb studs to use. I will post pics the entire way from porting to finish.

we have a person that makes poly bushings all day long. so it would be like a fancy adapter? or a new boot ,new boot might be to hard. i need a crankcase i want a toy to johnt

Back