028 chain tensioner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FourMoCajuns

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My 028 runs like a gem! I just noticed I was having problems adjusting the tension and upon further inspection I noticed the long adjusting screw is bent. Is this common and what needs to be replaced?
My 361 and Makita 6401 run strong but I can't keep my hands off of the little 028!:blob2:

You can often straighten them, but for a couple of $ you can have a new one... It just pulls out (towards you when you are looking at the studs). If you have an inner plate, just pop that off first.

They can be easily bent on any make saw with a pinched chain and an overly aggressive operator trying to un-stick it. I've witnessed it many a time...:bang: :bang: Bent one on one of my saws while in the tree, dawgs and chain bit into block at the wrong time, didn't want to release the chunk as it fell and I didn't want to release the saw. Something had to give.:yoyo:

Lake's right, you can straighten with patience but why bother for less than two bucks you can get a new one. The bent ones suck, you will be tensioning the chain every five minutes. Glad to hear from another 028 fan, got two and their are favorites to operate. Not the newest, most powerful or smoothest but they just fit the hand so well and love the balance with a 16" bar.:rock:

On the 028 the reason the screw bends is that somebody has tightened the bar nuts when the knub wasn't located in the bar... Often you can just rotate them until it is outer-most with the knub in the center of the bend, and gently whack it with hammer. Repeat as required..

The one on my 028 super was bent when I bought it, I put the screw in
a vice at the bend with some thin pieces of oak to protect the threads
and slipped a small piece of tube over the end and bent it back straight

Back