028 chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msing

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just picked up a new to me 028wb it needs a new bar and sprocket. Question is which size-style .325-.375 will cut the fastest. I was thinking 3/8 square ground semi skip with a 7 tooth sprocket. This saw will be running a 16in. bar and cutting small 6in.- 12in. poplar and maybe some small birch. I run 3/8 full comp square ground on my modded 046 and 394xp and love it. But do you guys think a 028wb would have the balls to pull this size chain? Or should I be looking at some .325 chain and run a 8 tooth? I hope to get some good thoughts on this!!?

since its not modded id go 7 pin sprocket .as to chain i always used .325. it worked fine no matter what wood i put it in w 16 bar.
if u want to experiment, try 95 vp chain with .325 ,50 bar. i think u would like the results . mabe a lot.

I run about the saw saw right now on fire would. I am running a arbor pro narrow knerf bar and woodsman pro chain to fit It. Thats a great combination for the oak that I have been cutting up to full 16 inch stuff. Just get all you parts at baileys and never look back.
Later
Bob

I run the .375 on my 028 just for consistency with my other saws. Same file etc. I run 16" bar 7 tooth.

A 16" bar is nothing...small wood like that is nothing and the 028 is a great saw...if you went 18" or longer I'd say go for teh .325 but 3/8" square ground is the fastest chain and the 28 can pull it on a 16" bar.

I forgot to add I am running .325 chain on my setup with a 16 bar. I just wanted to try somethign different and want to she what all the tqalk was about the narrow chains and such. I had to replace the sprocket any how, so I decided to go with the .325 So far I love the set up. Most of my cutting is on good hard oak.
Later
Bob

I would like to say thanks for the replys guys. I ordered up a new 7 tooth sprocket,an Oregon bar in 50 gauge and a loop of Woodsmenpro round chisel all in .325. So I can change to a 8 tooth or change the drive sprocket and bar tip to 3/8s. I have to get this saw into some wood and see how to runs.

Latest posts

Back