028 Needs Coil and I Need Advice.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1legwoodchopper

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
The local shop wanted $198 to replace the coil on my 028WB. Looks like you can buy one used at 10 bucks and new at 35 (aftermarket). Are this things hard to change? It appears to be a simple harness and a bolt. Maybe I am missing something. It also apprears there is an older points style and a newer electronic. I would assume you'd want to use the electronic.

Am I missing something? I appears to be pretty easy to remedy. Would you buy the new aftermarket coil that I have seen on ebay. Would a sponsor here have one to sell? Just as well support them.

Advice and guidance. I bought the saw for $125 5 years ago and can't see putting $200 into it.

Thanks,
Jason

Pull out the old coil, cut off the wires going to the points. Screw down new Electronic coil.

No need to remove the FW. No timing to set.

Done.

Fix him up Fish,you've got what he needs.By the way,he was looking for a coil for an 028 too.

You're spoiling my fun! I was about to tell you that Fish would enclose a complimentary air gap gauge for setting the flywheel to core distance.
The easy way to set or check the gap is with an ordinary business card placed between them.

If you haven't already checked it out:remove the sparkplug and take the recoil off to access the flywheel and coil.With the plug out,you can easily turn the flywheel to the point where the flywheel magnets and the coil's core line up.The gap between them is about the thickness of the card,the magnets and core should not be touching or show signs of rubbing.If the distance isn't correct,rotate the magnets away from the core and loosen the screws holding the coil.You will notice the mounting holes in the coil are slightly elongated to allow the coil to be adjusted forward and back.Pull the coil to the rear most position and hold the card over the iron core.Rotate the flywheel to line up the magnets and core.Let go of the coil and the magnets will pull the coil into place with the card trapped between.Tighten the coil screws and rotate the flywheel to remove the card.All done.

Last edited:
Did you check your clearance and if so,how was it.If the coil was rubbing the flywheel, sometimes no spark.The gap between them is needed not only for clearance,it also gets into more technical stuff like magnetic flux line density,things that engineers live for but really make no difference to us guys.Did you reset the gap and check for spark?

Latest posts

Back