028 or 036 Which is Better Made

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an 028 Super AV that I replaced the piston, cylinder, oil pump drive, and updated clutch drum to new design. And I have an 036 that I put rings in and replaced the air filter, clutch drum and bearing.
Both seem to be in pretty good shape now and my neighbor wants one of them. So, I'll probably just give him one. That way I don't have to listen to a bunch of crap if it blows all to hell.
I actually like the 028 better, but was curious what the experts think.

Both are good, stout, legendary saws. Both very well liked by most that have used either. If i had to make a choice I would keep the 036, depending on the condition of both. The 036 is a bigger saw. Thats a hard choice though, both saws are very well built saws.

The 036... Much better breathing, oiling etc...

The 028 was the "prior" generation. The 036 improves on that older design.

I have never owned a 036 but my father has had a 028 av since '87 and it has never been in the shop. I personally wouldn't want any other saw than that one......:chainsaw:

This 036.

wertz036_1115.jpg

wertz036_1119.jpg

wertz036_1112.jpg

that is his daily work saw. It was never a race saw. Chad builds log homes in Montana and uses it every day. The saw beats the stock 7900's in the yard.

Chad had sent the saw to me to have it bumped up a little hotter than normal. While it was here his wife called me and wanted to have some extras done to it for his Christmas present. So she had the paint job and ceramic bearings added to it.

The saw has been running a 24" bar and full comp chain for the past 16 months under hard use; coping, bucking and ripping lodge pole pine.

The saw has been running a 24" bar and full comp chain for the past 16 months under hard use; coping, bucking and ripping lodge pole pine.

Good deal :clap:

Seems like I remember that being a pis:censored:sing match between two guys and you were building both saws. :laugh: :cheers:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back