028 Super Sprocket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A good friend of mine has an older 028 Super. Long story short he loaned me his log splitter so I could split about 3 cords of wood. When I went to drop it off he was cleaning his 028 and noticed the sprocket was worn. So to pay him back, since he won't take anything, for the use of the splitter I would like to get the sprocket for his saw. I don't know how old it is, but he said the last time it was tuned up was back in '92. I see Baileys carries the sprocket (Oregon) but I'm not sure if it's the right one.
I don't want to ask him any details about the saw because he'll figure out what I'm up to and tell me not to bother, yada yada. That's the type of guy he is, he doesn't want to "take" anything from anybody but will give you the shirt off his back. So with the little information I've provided can anybody give their best guess as to the part number for the original sprocket. Also, I believe the sprocket bearing should be replaced at the same time.
Thanks for any information. I know this is the place to come to ask.
BTW, the splitter was a 34 ton Swisher, what a beast! I couldn't throw anything at it it couldn't handle.

Without knowing if he has a .325 or 3/8 sprocket it is a tuff call.
According to my Stihl book here are some part #'s
.325 spur 1118 640 2003
3/8 spur 1125 640 2004
.325 rim setup 1118 007 1004
3/8 rim setup 1118 007 1007
all are 7 tooth

Just 3 weeks ago I replaced the whole drive sprocket assembly on my 028 Super. I replaced a worn Stihl #1118 160 2906 rim drive (.325") with the Oregon PowerMate rim system which is excellent! Here is the best choices for your friend from Bailey's (what I bought):

If he runs 3/8":

Bailey's - Oregon Power Mate Rim & Drum System for Stihl 028

If he runs 0.325":

Bailey's - Oregon Power Mate Rim and Drum System for Stihl 028 and 028 Super

This is the bearing you want (doesn't matter if its 3/8 or .325):
Bailey's - Oregon Drive Sprocket Needle Bearing

Like I said I just bought this stuff and have been VERY happy with it. It comes with everything you need and the rim system is much better than the spur sprocket.

Back