028 wb idle problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihlalltheway

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm fixing an 028 woodboss for a friend, and the idle is giving me a fit. I replaced the fuel line and filter and now I can't get the idle to stop the chain from spinning without it dieing. I turn the LA screw counterclockwise to try and get the chain to stop but it keeps dieing. The H and L screws are at factory 1-1/4 turns out. It seems like an air leak to me but I'm not sure. Any advice or help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jack

I've seen the wire carb linkage get tweeked on 028s. With the saw not running, squeeze the throttle wide open and make sure the butterfly goes wide open. Let the trigger go and make sure the butterfly closes to the point it touches the LA idle screw. Next I would start the saw, lean out the L about 1/8 turn, but no more, adjust the LA idle until the chain stops running. Do you have a tachometer? I really like my 028!

Warm the saw up and adjust the L screw. You may need to go back and forth with the L and LA screws some, and then you will have to readjust the H.

If you are still killing the saw when you reduce the idle, it could be that the clutch springs are weak.

Back