028AV Clutch Inspection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mill_wannabe

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have an 028AVEQ Wood Boss that appears to have weak clutch springs. I am not familiar with how to disassemble these inboard clutch types. I have everything removed, but don't know how the oil pump gear (white plastic) comes out so I can see what condition the springs and shoes are in.

How does the white gear (lower right) come out?:confused:

IMG_0092.jpg

Thanks, Hotshot! That was easy, but not obvious.

OK, to me the clutch looks good. The symptom on this saw is you cannot turn the idle down enough to stop the chain. The carb has been gone through, so I think the springs are weak. Can I just change them without removing the clutch?

How does this clutch look to you guys?
web.jpg

OK, to me the clutch looks good. The symptom on this saw is you cannot turn the idle down enough to stop the chain. The carb has been gone through, so I think the springs are weak. Can I just change them without removing the clutch?

How does this clutch look to you guys?
web.jpg

just replace the clutch.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stihl-028AV-Clu...US_Chainsaws&hash=item35b06e8d12#ht_773wt_905

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-STIHL-028-C...aultDomain_0&hash=item20b6b47971#ht_557wt_905

Last edited:

I'd replace the springs before resorting to changing out the clutch. Springs are cheap and they can be replaced while the clutch is still on the saw. A new clutch is a bit pricey and a used clutch may have springs no better than what you have.

Are new springs commonly available?

I show this as the part number - 0000-997-5811

Replacing the springs is easy!

Following up on this: I ordered the springs at my local Stihl dealer for $5.61. They arrived in three days.

Popped them in today, and the saw is fixed! Very easy job. No need to remove the clutch, the springs are removed easily from the top.

Any lurkers that find this thread in a search: Don't hesitate to attempt this fix.

Thanks all for the help!:msp_thumbup:

Latest posts

Back