028AVQS shorts out

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerlakejens

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I picked up a project 028AV to see if all the Stihl hype has merit. It had a broken brake handle, for which I have a replacement on the way, and it wouldn't start. I followed the suggestions I found in earlier threads and disconnected the short circuit wire and it started instantly. An earlier thread covers replacing the contact and shaft under the handle, so I am headed to the shop to pick up those parts. The chain brake won't disengage, at least I can't get it to pop back without the leverage of the handle, so the spindle is locked. What should I be looking for here? Advice always appreciated. By the way, if Lakeside53 is on, what shop are you at?

No, the sprocket does not turn at all. I'm leery of putting too much pressure on the brake attachment until I get the handle replaced.

basically, the chainbrake is locking the clutch drum, which is why it wont turn. when you install the new handle, pull it backwards, and you will hear a click. that will be the brake releasing, then the sprocket will turn freely.

deerlakejens said:
I'm leery of putting too much pressure on the brake attachment until I get the handle replaced.

Don't be afraid of that. The new handle will just allow you to apply more leverage that you could without it. Chainbrake mechanisms, especially on Stihls, are pretty tough.

Chris B.

Latest posts

Back