029 Base Bolts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carhartt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone ever have any trouble getting Stihl 029 base bolts out? I got 2 out but snapped 2 t27 wrenches in the remaining 2 bolts. The real problem is that the one t27 head is stuck in the one bolt. anyone have a reccomendation on a good t27 tool?Not sure how to get the stuck wrench head out yet. might try small drill and ez out.

I use a small dewalt impact driver with Mac tools T27 torx bits. Kind of pricey if you won't use them much. If you work on a lot of saws they will come in handy and save a lot of time. Good luck, those styles of saw aren't exactly easy to work on. Some times it's better to buy a complete engine.

I have torn a bunch of these apart before. My 18 v dewalt doesnt budge them, which is my normal removal tool. I had an l shaped torx tool. that is the one that snapped in the head. This shld b fun. I can always drill the heads off i guess.

Have you tried heat? You can concentrate it just on the bolt using a soldering iron. Is that an 18V Dewalt drill or impact driver? Completely different animal.

They have loctite on the threads. Little trick that worked for me, took a soldering gun and held the heat tip right directly in the center of the head. Left it there for atleast 1 minute. Came right out. Didn't learn this trick until 3 T27's later. And as for the one still broke and in the bolt head. I used a leather ale and tapping with hammer on all edges. It eventually unwedged itself and it fell out. Let me know how this works for you. Good luck.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

I snapped off a tip in one of those and had a terrible time getting it out. I ended up drilling through it using some diamond-coated Dremel bits.

dewalt is impact. When it didnt loosen with that i was concerned. I am gonna try heat tonight. As far as the broken head ive tapped on it for a while now. thats my biggest concern at this point.

Those bolts are force threaded and tap themselves as they are threaded.along with factory locktite they can be a real pain.I installed a new factory cylinder on a 390 for a friend.you talkin about a pain to thread the new bolts.it was hell on my arthritis. Lol

I also did one for a friend. Said I would never do another nor own one. Even though my first saw was a 029.Never had to do anything to it except replace the spark plug once in 12 years of owning it.

Im beginning to think I could make a pretty good living around these parts rebuilding the 210-250's and 290-390's if I could stand to touch the darn things.its the opposite around here.every clamshell ive seen around here is trashed.I see nearly new lookin saws scored beyond help

Thats what this is a project saw. Paid 25 for it blown. Cosmeticly it is in good shape. Ill put n 039 p/c on it. Makes a crappy saw a decent firewood for someone. Not me of course. I like my pros. I have to say the 029 is easier to work on than the smaller ones. Especially after the 5th one this yr.

I use a 19.2 volt Lithium Ion impact driver 1/2" with a 2 inch Wiha T27 fitted into a socket head.

It makes Stihl saws fall to pieces.

On the last Bailey's 390 kit I noticed that the OEM mounting bolts would not fit into the clamshell kit. I had to use the Kit bolts. Different threads I think.

I have done several of these also I use s and k t27 in a 3/8s braking bar to losen them then the 20v dewalt impact. as for the broken bit in bolt yeah not fun done it with 4mm allen wrench on the dewalt snapped ball end off down in there had to drill and grind out

Well the 3rd bolt is out with a new 1/4 socket t 27 tool. Now any moral support on the broken tip in the other would be greatly appreciated. I snapped 2 drill bits last night and only made a dent. Tapped around it with a small punch. Doesnt seem to be wiggling at all. Did someone mention small dremel bits? Which ones will remove the bit and not snap or go to crap right away?
I am one bolt away from VICTORY. Yeah on a 029. Super though.......

I wouldn't use heat. I have used PB blaster and let it sit on the bolt threads and that has seemed to help. Have you removed the rear bar stud already?

Surprisingly the bar stud came out easily. Double nutted. I have had them be a challenge in the past. I will be shopping for some diamond dremel bits. I dont know any other way. That screw head is really tucked in there. Not many options.

I think I got my diamond set at Harbor Freight fairly cheap. It still took a miserable amount of time, if I recall correctly.

Back