029 issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axe2fall

Hound runner
Reaction score
i have an 029 that won't stay running. It starts easy but acts like its flooding out once it's running. I can toggle the throttle to keep it going but it dies out. My first thought was to put a kit in carb since it didn't sound lean.
Compression 150. Piston is like new.
Cleaned muff screen. Wasn't bad. No change.
I pulled the carb and all looked good but I replaced the filter screen in carb and fuel filter. No change.
I put a carb kit in. No change.
I put a kit in another carb from an 029 parts saw. Same symptoms.
Pulled off tank vent at tank. Same deal.
Fuel and impulse lines good.
Saw holds pressure. Holds vacuum. No leaks.

I don't know what else to try

Could the carb needles be damaged? They looked ok to my eye but the spare carb didn't have any so I used the same ones on each rebuilt carb.

What else could it be ? Coil dying? If so how to test it ? Parts saw coil is missing

Thanks

Are you 100% sure the fuel and impulse lines are sound?
We are talking about a 15+ years old saw, so unless lines were changed in the past five years or so it may be worthwhile to look into them.

I am positive that they are good. I vac and pressure tested both while off of the saw and then the entire saw with impulse line back on.

I can probably track down a running 029 and swap carb and then coil if no luck.
Is there a coil test ?

This might sound like a dumb question, did you clean the needles?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Any more history on the saw ?(yours or working on for somebody else?, was running fine then started this or has been sitting a while? Any other things done to it recently?)...

It's a friends saw. An older guy. A lawyer so you can't tell him anything According to him the saw has never been worked on but the carb screen was wrinkled so I think it's been opened before. His wife was awarded the saw new from some conservation outfit in the 1990s. She planted a bunch of trees or something. They have a ms250 that's easier to handle so this saw mostly sits. It had a brand new green chain on it when I got it but by the look of the wood powder gunk, his normal solution to a dull chain is to lean on the saw some more. No wood chips to be found. Air filter clogged with powder too. It was bad enough that I thought that it was choking out the saw and an easy fix. ( forgot to mention that earlier but I soak them with Walmart rubbing alcohol and blow out till dry from the inside) and it wasn't on the saw anyway) Bottom of bar worn but otherwise perfect. The little sucker really dumps some bar oil. He does nothing to prepare it for storage other than he uses the Stihl premix. Piston looks new. Now that I have cleaned it I can say that the saw is absolutely pristine.

Go to the Stihl dealer and get a new carb for $32

I may end up taking your advice before this fiasco is over.
But I have never had problems with Walbro carbs after putting a kit in and this saw has now had 2 carbs with kits and no change in attitude. I can't say the same for Zama. There is a check valve or something that goes bad in those things and a kit doesn't always fix them. Or maybe I am doing something wrong. Either way, I don't mess with them much now since they are too cheap to simply replace. I thought the Walbro carbs were considerably more expensive but I really have not checked. I will check price and availability when I pick up the fuel line but if it's actually $32, I will stop rebuilding Walbro carbs too. And this saw may end up with a new one if the fuel line is not the cure.

1127 120 0604 CARBURETOR HD18A 32.99

1127 120 0605 CARBURETOR HD21A 32.99

1127 120 0650 CARBURETOR HD19A 66.49

This is from the Stihl dealer pricelist for Bryan Equipment, which is the dist. for West Virginia.

Oh, did I mention €60 is the discounted price? RRP is over €70 on most models and even genuine repair kits have shot into the stratosphere over the past 3-4 years.
Mercifully we have the Internet. ;)

Oh, did I mention €60 is the discounted price? RRP is over €70 on most models and even genuine repair kits have shot into the stratosphere over the past 3-4 years.
Mercifully we have the Internet. ;)
What does that equate to in U.S. dollars? If you ever need us to pop something in the mail, many of us would be glad to do it. First class Int would likely be $12-$15, I haven't shipped overseas for a few years.

What does that equate to in U.S. dollars? If you ever need us to pop something in the mail, many of us would be glad to do it. First class Int would likely be $12-$15, I haven't shipped overseas for a few years.

Thanks for the offer. Spare parts are becoming so expensive it's nigh on unbelievable here.

The rebuild kit is over $30 in that price book. Someone pointed to the stens kit for 6$. Normally an oem kit is less than $20.

You really have nothing else left of influence besides the hose, filter and carb replacement. With him using motomix he does not need to remove the fuel for storage according to stihl for two years or less.

Latest posts

Back