029 stalling out...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slinky

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys...i picked up a saw, Stihl 029, a couple weeks ago from a member here. I'm just finally getting to put it to some real use and find that once it warms up it wont idle. When i first started using it it was fine and would idle, but as i put it to more use on about my 3rd tree it would die as soon as i let off the throttle. What could be causing this? i called my stihl dealer and they say it needs a carb rebuild, and i'm thinking its something with the carb. It still has great power and runs awsome when i stay on the throttle...any help would be great.

It could be the carb adjustment off among other things. Try to adjust the "L" setting to where the saw idles but doesn't spin the chain. Use small adjustments and rev the saw and let it return to idle a few times to let the engine compensate for the adjustment. Make sure you don't have limiter caps on the carb screws, they only let the screw turn so much before it stops.

ignition, when it gets hot, it kills the spark, had the same problem on a 028, or vent on cap is clogged

Last edited:
thanks guys i'll look into both these things..i'll check the vents first make sure everything is free flowing..then i'll start adjusting the "L"

if that doesnt work i'll look into the ignition...whats a replacement for the ignition run for one of these?

thanks guys i'll look into both these things..i'll check the vents first make sure everything is free flowing..then i'll start adjusting the "L"

if that doesnt work i'll look into the ignition...whats a replacement for the ignition run for one of these?

depends if points or electronic,
i replace my points with electronic w/ a 032 eletronic coil i had sitting around'
if points, it is most likly the condencer, or dirty points

Last edited:
Look at the fuel line under the carb, it likely has a lot of cracks in it, if so,
replace it and rebuild the carb.
If you need parts, let us know....

Look at the fuel line under the carb, it likely has a lot of cracks in it, if so,
replace it and rebuild the carb.
If you need parts, let us know....

the guy i bought it from told me he had updated all the lines on it. Do you know what carb is on this saw? One of my buddies is telling me to just replace the carb and not mess with reguilding it.

Next remove the nuts with a 5/16 or 8mm nutdriver.

Then lightly pry the carb away from the saw, the fuel and impulse lines will
have a tight grip.

With the carb off, inspect the fuel line above the tank, going into the carb.

With carb cleaner/straw, blow out all of the holes you see, especially the
one under the needle, leading to the screen on the other side.

To make sure it is clear, hold it up to a light source

Also, if you see crud in the u-shaped chamber, look for an air leak, especially
at the impulse line.

If not, reassemble, and reinstall, and test the saw out.

And if you still want a new carb or coil, let me know.

HELLO????

Is this mike/mic on????????

I know my posts are usually totally worthless, I guess I know that I should just limp off into the sunset.............................Now.....................

I could just sit around and just sell carbs and coils, I guess........

Well, I guess I do that anyway................

Nevermind............

But still, I am hurt......

Worthless........

Tanned white trash......................

I will take my little jap camera, and "CRAWL" back into my hole........

I, I, IIII, try........... I try. I pour my soul out onto this forum.........

I am a river............................

But nnnnnoooooo. No one reads my senseless posts...................

I feel weak.........

Well, I am not "that" tanned................

Hey Fish, I read your posts. And I like you! AANNDDD, I will respect you in the morning, how about that!

Oh yea, I need a air filter cover for a flat top MS390. Got one? LOL.

No, I only dismember newer ms290/390 saws.

I like you too..... What is your sign??? Cup size???

I just thought I would turn this into a helpful thread, for the guys that have never went into a carb.

I guess I was wrong......

I bet they are out working on the carb. They will thank you when their saw is running good. Good helpful post for those that don't know about carbs, Fish. The title is what is holding back your gold stars. Replace it with, "How to change Fuel lines" or something like that, you will get a lot of praise.

Back