029 Super Muffler Mod and oxalic acid info/experience

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joel D'Angelo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all, I am still learning and recently tried opening up the muffler on my 029 Super. I didn't take as much as in other threads because I was afraid of the noise. Just the little bit I did do made a noticeable difference. Thought I would post what I took out. It was enough to make the saw much more snappy. I did need to re-tune. Not much richer on the high side but a quarter turn richer to get it to idle right. Also, I recently had a bar and chain of another saw so rusty that I had to pry the chain off with a screwdriver and hammer. I was so bad it held it's shape and wouldn't hardly bend. Bar not much better. I stuck the chain in an oxalic acid bath in a sonic parts cleaner. Triple the granules they recommend for cleaning. Within 12 hours the chain was rust free and just needed a little wd-40 in spots to be good as new visually. Too bad it was all stretched out and needed a new one anyway but for rusty cruddy critters I don't see how a little oxalic acid (Wood Bleach) can be beat. Thanks for all the info in the past BTW...

Attachments

• stihlmuffler1.jpg
    stihlmuffler1.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 40
  • stihlmuffler2.jpg
    stihlmuffler2.jpg
    341.1 KB · Views: 38
That groove in the muffler that is outside of the baffle... Do that on the other side too. The round hole in the depressed area is unbaffled and will add more noise. (but a good noise) You're not getting as much benefit yet as you can. The muffler cover plate mod looks good.

Latest posts

Back