031 getting red hot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackoak

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I got an old 031 this weekend the first thing I did before even cleaning it up was to check for fire. It had fire and good compression. Put fresh gas in and it fired up after a few pulls. The saw seemed slugish and seemed to be running rich. I tried adjusting the high side, but could not get it to lean out any. I shut it off and noticed that the saw seemed very hot. i started into it and found that someone had put in an Atom modul. I cleaned everything up rebuilt the carb and started over. I still could not get the carb adjusted. After several minutes of trying I felt heat again and the muffler was actually red from the heat. What would cause this. I'm sure it ignition problems. Maybe it has the wrong modul. I was thinking , but its been awhile since I put one of these in an 031, but I remember I had to do something different for the 031 when using these moduls. Any ideas??? It did have at one time points and condenser ignition. The timing must be off for this saw to get that hot.

Last edited:
Try reversing the wires on the module. It might need to be the other way........................

seriously

Yep! Stihl even issued an advisery not to use their module (can't reverse) in 031's without changing the flywheel.

Try reversing the wires on the module. It might need to be the other way........................

seriously
I switched the wires and now it has no fire. Do I need a flywheel that is used with electronic ignition? The flywheel on this saw is for points type ignition. Do the 031 have reverse polarity. It's starting to come back to me now. its been a couple years since I did an 031 and I remember the last time I had to switch the wire to get it lined out. Since it has no fireafter I switched the wires around and it did fire the other way, but could light my cigs of the muffler something ain't right.

Last edited:
I have tried the wires both ways. One it has no fire, the other it gets hot. I found a brown Atom modul and tried it both ways. It's the same no fire or it gets hot. The the keyway on the crank and flywheel are in good shape. It has not moved. Why do I do this to myself. I can now get the starter cover and flywheel off an 031 in about 2 minutes now. I have had a lot of practice lately. I think this clunker will be parted out.

I have tried the wires both ways. One it has no fire, the other it gets hot. I found a brown Atom modul and tried it both ways. It's the same no fire or it gets hot. The the keyway on the crank and flywheel are in good shape. It has not moved. Why do I do this to myself. I can now get the starter cover and flywheel off an 031 in about 2 minutes now. I have had a lot of practice lately. I think this clunker will be parted out.

Hot Muffler = Unburned Fuel ..

whatever the cause .. Timing ..??

hot saw

sounds like a key way that is off. Very rare, but I have seen it. You can do a lot of testing, but the quickest is to find another flywheel. So, does somebody have one to send him?

Back